Understanding Supremum and Infimum: A Brief Explanation

In summary: The idea is that things like (-1)^{n+1} and (-1)^{(n^2+n)/2} are annoying expressions. They are either 1 or -1. Can you find conditions on n on when the result is 1 and when it is -1??
Felafel
Hello everyone,
I found this exercise on the internet:
find the supremum and infimum of the following set A1, where
A1 = {2(-1)^(n+1)+(-1)^((n^2+n)/2)(2+3/n): n belongs to |N*}
being |N* = |N\{0}

The solution was:
A1 = {-3, -11/2, 5}U{3/4k, -3/(4k+1),-4-3/(4k+2),4+3/(4k+3) : k belongs to |N*}

I don't get the reasoning behind. what's k? why and how did they use it?

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
It would help us a lot if you would use this to make your post more readable.

ok, here i go:

find the supremum and infimum of the following set A1, where
[itex]A1 = {2(-1)^{n+1} + (-1)^{(\frac{n^2+n}{2})} ( 2+ \frac{3}{n}): n \in \mathbb{N}*}[/itex]

being [itex] \mathbb{N}^{*} = \mathbb{N} \setminus \Big\{0\Big\} [/itex]

The solution was:
[itex]A1 = \Big\{-3,\frac{-11}{2}, 5\Big\} \cup \Big\{\frac{3}{4k}, \frac{-3}{4k+1},-4- \frac{3}{4k+2},4+ \frac{2}{4k+3}\Big\} : k \in \mathbb{N} [/itex]

what's the reasoning behind this solution? why using the k?

That solution doesn't really make any sense. You are asked to give two values, the infimum and the supremum. I don't understand why the solution would give that as answer...

According to the text, thanks to this proceeding you prove that:
[itex] inf A1= - \frac{11}{2}, supA1=5 [/itex]
(even knowing it still doesn't help me to understand how they solved that)

sorry, didn't know latex didn't work on quick replies.
here i go again:

According to the text, thanks to this proceeding you prove that:
[itex] inf A1= - \frac{11}{2}, supA1=5 [/itex]
(even knowing it still doesn't help me to understand how they solved that)

Ah, now it makes sense. What they essentially do is write that A1 in another form. Why did they do that? Well because that other form makes it easier to see what the infimum and the supremum actually is.

Now, do you understand that the other form of A1 is equal to your original set?? That would be the first thing you might want to figure out.

no, i don't get how the set was manipulated :(

The idea is that things like [itex](-1)^{n+1}[/itex] and [itex](-1)^{(n^2+n)/2}[/itex] are annoying expressions. They are either 1 or -1. Can you find conditions on n on when the result is 1 and when it is -1??

Let me do the first: [itex](-1)^{n+1}[/itex] is 1 if n+1 is even and is -1 if n+1 is odd. So we get the following result

[tex]2(-1)^{n+1}+(-1)^{(n^2+n)/2}(2+\frac{3}{n})=\left\{\begin{array}{ll} 2+(-1)^{(n^2+n)/2}(2+\frac{3}{n}) & \text{if n is odd}\\ -2 + (-1)^{(n^2+n)/2}(2+\frac{3}{n}) & \text{if n is even}\end{array}\right.[/tex]

Can you do a similar thing to get rid of the [itex](-1)^{(n^2+n)/2}[/itex]?

thankss, much clearer now :)

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum of a set?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound of the set, while the infimum is the largest lower bound of the set.

2. How do you determine the supremum and infimum of a set?

To determine the supremum of a set, you must find the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. Similarly, to find the infimum, you must find the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

3. Can a set have more than one supremum or infimum?

Yes, a set can have multiple supremum and infimum if the set is not bounded. For example, the set of all positive real numbers has no supremum or infimum.

4. How do supremum and infimum relate to maximum and minimum?

If a set has a maximum or minimum element, then that element is also the supremum or infimum of the set. However, if a set does not have a maximum or minimum element, then the supremum and infimum may not exist or may be different from any of the elements in the set.

5. What is the significance of supremum and infimum in mathematical analysis?

The supremum and infimum of a set are important concepts in mathematical analysis as they help define the limits and boundaries of a set. They are also used in the definitions of continuity and convergence of sequences and functions.