Understanding Tension Forces in a Slowly Rising System

• Thread starter deuce123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the question is asking for the force needed to raise a person and a bucket at a constant speed. The solution is that the force required is half of the person's weight, and this can be understood by considering the tension in the rope if the end were attached to the bucket.
deuce123

Homework Statement

GIANCOLI.ch04.p32.jpg
How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? The mass of the person plus the bucket is 75 kg .

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey everyone, so I've answered this question and it equals too half her weight. W=2T, but i just want to intuitively understand it better because it still confuses me. Why is the force exerted only half if its usually the whole weight required? is it because she's holding the rope? Also I've read that people say its because there's two tension forces on both sides, but wouldn't that be the case if it was just another regular force pulling down? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself if the end of the rope were attached to the bucket what the tension in each part of the rope would be. Obviously W/2. Since the girl is effectively part of the bucket her holding it does not change the situation so the tension on the end remains W/2.

What is the problem in "Forces HW problem clarity"?

The problem in "Forces HW problem clarity" is that the instructions or information provided for completing the homework assignment on forces is not clear or easy to understand.

What are forces in physics?

In physics, forces are interactions between two objects that can cause a change in motion or shape of those objects.

How do forces affect motion?

Forces can cause an object to speed up, slow down, change direction, or change shape. They can also balance each other out and result in no change in motion.

What are the types of forces?

The types of forces include gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

How can I improve my understanding of forces in physics?

To improve your understanding of forces in physics, you can review fundamental concepts, practice problem-solving, and seek help from a teacher or tutor. It can also be helpful to relate the concepts to real-life examples and conduct hands-on experiments to see the effects of forces.