Understanding Tension in Angles: Expert Insights and Tips

So, for (1) if you move mass M closer to the axis of rotation, then the tension in the wire must go down by the principle of torque and static equilibrium. For (2), if you increase the angle theta, then the tension in the wire must increase, again by the principle of torque and static equilibrium. In summary, as mass M is moved closer to the axis of rotation, the tension in the wire decreases, and as the angle theta is increased, the tension in the wire increases, according to the principles of torque and static equilibrium.
Icefire_16
Homework Statement
1). What happens to tension as you move the mass closer to Axis of Rotation? Explain the physics of this.
2). What happens to tension as you increase the angle(theta)? Explain the physics of this.
(The L, length of the beam stays constant and is hinged to the wall. The M, constant , mass can move closer or farther from the hinge. Theta, or the angle can be change if the cable is at a higher position or lower.)
Relevant Equations
1). I said it decreases because there is less weight pulling at the cable when in is further in.
2). I said it increases but I am not sure why. Is it because of the steeper angle that the cable becomes tighter?
GJMUr (1) (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sorry, your post is a bit confusing for me. Move what mass toward what axis of rotation? There appear to be two masses labeled "M" in your diagram...

And is the "axis of rotation" at the intersection of the horizontal M mass and the wall?

And what "angle" where? There are no angles labeled in the diagram. We can try guessing at all of these issues, but it would be best if you could make the problem statement super clear. Thanks! :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sorry, your post is a bit confusing for me. Move what mass toward what axis of rotation? There appear to be two masses labeled "M" in your diagram...

And is the "axis of rotation" at the intersection of the horizontal M mass and the wall?

And what "angle" where? There are no angles labeled in the diagram. We can try guessing at all of these issues, but it would be best if you could make the problem statement super clear. Thanks! :smile:
Thanks! Sorry I'm new here but I updated the picture, hopefully it's more clear!

So, is the horizontal beam massless? The original picture showed it having a mass M.

gneill said:
So, is the horizontal beam massless? The original picture showed it having a mass M.
Whoops sorry it does have a mass

Icefire_16 said:
Whoops sorry it does have a mass
Is its mass different from the suspended one? In other words, does m = M in your revised diagram?

gneill said:
Is its mass different from the suspended one? In other words, does m = M in your revised diagram?
Nope the masses are different

Icefire_16 said:
Homework Statement:: 1). What happened to tension as you moved mass closer to Axis of Rotation. Explain the physics of this.
2). What happens to tension as you increased the angle(theta)? Explain the physics of this.
These questions are unclear. You cannot change either of these without changing something else, so we need to know what is being held constant.
E.g. in the first one, if it is mass M that is moving left, is that by making L shorter (so m moves left too), and if so is the angle increasing or is the point of attachment of the wire dropping?

Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
These questions are unclear. You cannot change either of these without changing something else, so we need to know what is being held constant.
E.g. in the first one, if it is mass M that is moving left, is that by making L shorter (so m moves left too), and if so is the angle increasing or is the point of attachment of the wire dropping?
Updated!

Now the question is clear. However, your answers sound like you are guessing.

Given the nature of the problem, I am sure you have been told a couple principles that will allow you to answer these questions with good physics reasoning. What physics principles have you been taught that apply in this situation?

Cutter Ketch said:
Now the question is clear. However, your answers sound like you are guessing.

Given the nature of the problem, I am sure you have been told a couple principles that will allow you to answer these questions with good physics reasoning. What physics principles have you been taught that apply in this situation?
I have been taught torque and static equilibrium but I am kind of struggling to grasp the topic conceptually.

If the situation is static (no movement) , then the sum of all torques must be zero. That's the crux of the analysis procedure.

Related to Understanding Tension in Angles: Expert Insights and Tips

1. What is tension in angles?

Tension in angles refers to the force exerted on an object by two or more connected points, causing the object to stretch or compress along its length.

2. How is tension in angles measured?

Tension in angles is typically measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds. It can also be measured indirectly by the amount of stretch or compression in the object.

3. What factors affect tension in angles?

The amount of tension in angles is influenced by the length of the object, the angle at which the force is applied, and the strength and stiffness of the material.

4. How can tension in angles be controlled?

Tension in angles can be controlled by adjusting the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the properties of the material being used. For example, using a stronger or stiffer material can help to reduce tension in angles.

5. Why is understanding tension in angles important?

Understanding tension in angles is crucial in engineering and design, as it allows for the proper selection of materials and design of structures to withstand the forces and stresses involved. It also helps to ensure the safety and stability of structures and objects.