Understanding the 2nd Term of the Friedmann Equation: Replacing U with -kc^2

However, as @Bandersnatch said, because the NR derivation works with the total energy, you can still give meaning to the constant ##k## as the total energy of the Universe (or if you want, the average total energy of parts of the Universe that are large enough to be considered homogeneous).
Das apashanka
while deriving the friedmann equation using Newtonian Mechanics the 2nd term of the r.h.s is coming to be 2^U/(r^2*a^2) where U is a constt,but it is replaced by -kc^2/(r^2*a^2)?

Space news on Phys.org
Das apashanka said:
while deriving the friedmann equation using Newtonian Mechanics

Which is only heuristic in any case. A proper derivation uses GR, not Newtonian mechanics.

Das apashanka said:
the 2nd term of the r.h.s is coming to be 2^U/(r^2*a^2) where U is a constt,but it is replaced by -kc^2/(r^2*a^2)?

Can you show more of your work? I don't understand what you're doing.

from the concept of kinetic energy and potential energy being constt for a test particle situated over a gravitational sphere having radius at time t to be a(t)r[o]

Das apashanka said:
from the concept of kinetic energy and potential energy being constt for a test particle situated over a gravitational sphere having radius at time t to be a(t)r[o]

Sorry, this doesn't help. Please post some actual equations and reasoning, and please use the PF LaTeX feature. You can find help on that here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

test particle in a gravitational mass M ,situated on the surface:
K.E+P.E=constt
1/2*(dR(t)/dt)^2-GM(t)/R(t)=U.....(1)
U=constt,M(t),R(t)=mass and radius at time t
M(t)=p(t)*V(t),p(t) and V(t)=density and volume at time t
R(t)=a(t)*R0,a(t)=scale factor
V(t)=4/3*pi*a(t)^3*R0^3
putting R(t),M(t) in 1:
H(t)^2=8πGp(t)/3+2U/(a(t)^2*RO^2)
the 2nd term is replaced by -kc^2/(RO^2*a(t)^2)?

It's hard to read (please, use LaTeX in the future), but it looks like you omitted the test particle mass term in both kinetic and potential energy.
Other than that, ##kc^2## is substituted for ##-\frac {2U}{mR_0^2}## in the final step.

Last edited:
my question is that it is coming 2U/(..) but everywhere it is written -kc^2/(...)

Das apashanka said:
my question is that it is coming 2U/(..) but everywhere it is written -kc^2/(...)
Yes, because in the last step you make a substitution for the constants in the last term, and call it curvature parameter k.

No I didnt make a substitution my question is why it is being substituted

Bandersnatch said:
Yes, because in the last step you make a substitution for the constants in the last term, and call it curvature parameter k.
will you please explain why is term of 2U is written in terms of kc^2

@Das apashanka , you marked this thread as "A", indicating a graduate level knowledge of the subject matter. The questions you are asking indicate that you don't have that background; accordingly, I have changed the thread level to "I".

Das apashanka said:
will you please explain why is term of 2U is written in terms of kc^2
When one arrives at the first Friedmann equation:
$$H^2(t)=\frac{8πG}{3}\rho(t)+\frac{2U}{m R_0^2 a^2(t) }$$
in the first term on the r.h.s. we have some time-variable ##\rho(t)##, and some universal constants. In the second term, we have a time-variable ##a^2(t)##, and a bunch of parameters ##\frac{2U}{m R_0^2}## which are all time-independent. Whatever the total energy is, it is conserved throughout expansion. So is test particle mass (and it cancels out with itself in total energy anyway), and the comoving distance ##R_0## is likewise unchanging. So, for convenience, we gather all of these parameters into one constant, and call it ##k## (where ##c^2## is just a unit-conversion factor).

From the derivation one gets some intuitive understanding that the constant ##k## is related to the total energy - which as far as I understand is the main reason for using Newtonian derivation.
It's to give intuitive meaning to what pops up in the General Relativistic derivation.

Das apashanka said:
No I didnt make a substitution my question is why it is being substituted
Sorry, love. I was using 'you' to mean 'one', or 'we', or 'it's how it's done'. I did not mean you in particular. Just a figure of speech :smile:

Ok that's fine but why the constant k is taken to be the curvature?

Bandersnatch said:
When one arrives at the first Friedmann equation:
$$H^2(t)=\frac{8πG}{3}\rho(t)+\frac{2U}{m R_0^2 a^2(t) }$$
in the first term on the r.h.s. we have some time-variable ##\rho(t)##, and some universal constants. In the second term, we have a time-variable ##a^2(t)##, and a bunch of parameters ##\frac{2U}{m R_0^2}## which are all time-independent. Whatever the total energy is, it is conserved throughout expansion. So is test particle mass (and it cancels out with itself in total energy anyway), and the comoving distance ##R_0## is likewise unchanging. So, for convenience, we gather all of these parameters into one constant, and call it ##k## (where ##c^2## is just a unit-conversion factor).

From the derivation one gets some intuitive understanding that the constant ##k## is related to the total energy - which as far as I understand is the main reason for using Newtonian derivation.
It's to give intuitive meaning to what pops up in the General Relativistic derivation.Sorry, love. I was using 'you' to mean 'one', or 'we', or 'it's how it's done'. I did not mean you in particular. Just a figure of speech :smile:
no no nothing happened like that ,thanks for replying I mean for last paragraph

Das apashanka said:
Ok that's fine but why the constant k is taken to be the curvature?
I believe it's because that's what you get from the General Relativistic derivation.

Das apashanka said:
why the constant k is taken to be the curvature?

As @Bandersnatch said, the only way to show this is to do the correct GR derivation. The Newtonian derivation, since it assumes flat space, cannot possibly tell you about spatial curvature.

1. What is the significance of replacing U with -kc^2 in the Friedmann Equation?

The Friedmann Equation is a fundamental equation in cosmology that describes the expansion of the universe. Replacing U with -kc^2 allows us to account for the effects of curvature on the expansion of the universe. This term takes into consideration the geometry of space and can provide insight into the overall structure of the universe.

2. How does replacing U with -kc^2 affect the overall equation?

Replacing U with -kc^2 introduces a negative term into the Friedmann Equation. This negative term represents the effects of curvature on the expansion of the universe. It can change the overall behavior of the equation and provide a more accurate representation of the universe's expansion.

3. Can you explain the meaning of the constant k in the Friedmann Equation?

The constant k in the Friedmann Equation represents the curvature of space. It can have a value of +1, -1, or 0, which correspond to a closed, open, or flat universe, respectively. This constant is essential in understanding the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

4. How does the value of k affect the expansion rate of the universe?

The value of k directly affects the expansion rate of the universe. A positive value of k (closed universe) will result in a slower expansion rate, while a negative value of k (open universe) will lead to a faster expansion rate. A flat universe (k=0) will have a constant expansion rate over time.

5. What implications does replacing U with -kc^2 have on our understanding of the universe?

Replacing U with -kc^2 allows us to consider the effects of curvature on the expansion of the universe. This can provide valuable insights into the overall structure and evolution of the universe. It also helps us to better understand the role of dark energy in the expansion of the universe and its implications for the future of our universe.