Understanding the concept of Axial Loading/Force

In summary, an axial load is a load that passes through the center of gravity of a member's cross-section, causing either compression or tension.
tomtomtom1
TL;DR Summary
Understanding the concept of Axial Loading/Force.
Hello all

I was wondering if some could help me understand the concept of Axial Loading/Force.

From research Axial loading can be defined as a load that passes through the centre of gravity of a members cross section, this causes either compression or tension.

The bit I don't fully understand is that if I applied a uniformly distributed load on a column then regardless of which orientation the column is places and which direction the load it applied the load will always pass through the columns centre of gravity as shown below:-

ALOADING.JPG

The black dot is meant to represent the centre of gravity.

From the two shapes shown can someone tell which forces are axial and why?

(I have assumed that gravity is acting downwards on both shapes)

Also on a side note are Axial forces and Normal Forces the same thing?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where does it say that the axial load passes through the center of gravity? An axial load on a cylinder is simply a tension or compression force (distributed load as you have drawn it) on the end of the cylinder, parallel to the axis of the cylinder.

ttp://www.wikiengineer.com/Structural/Axial

"What is an Axial Force?
If the load on a column is applied through the center of gravity of its cross section, it is called an axial load."

tomtomtom1 said:
ttp://www.wikiengineer.com/Structural/Axial

"What is an Axial Force?
If the load on a column is applied through the center of gravity of its cross section, it is called an axial load."
This makes no sense to me, and, in my judgment, is inciorrect.

Likes mfig
I agree with Chestermiller. I think a better definition is the following, from Structural and Stress Analysis by Megson:

"Axial loads are applied along the longitudinal or centroidal axis of a structural member."

Thank you all.

1. What is axial loading/force?

Axial loading/force is a type of force that acts along the axis of a structure, such as a beam or column. It is a compressive force that can cause the structure to bend or buckle.

2. How is axial loading/force different from other types of forces?

Axial loading/force is different from other types of forces, such as shear or bending forces, because it acts directly along the axis of the structure. This means that it puts pressure on the entire cross-section of the structure, rather than just a specific area.

3. What are some examples of structures that experience axial loading/force?

Some examples of structures that experience axial loading/force include columns, beams, and trusses. These structures are designed to withstand compressive forces along their length.

4. How does axial loading/force affect the stability of a structure?

Axial loading/force can affect the stability of a structure by causing it to deform or buckle. If the force is too great, it can cause the structure to fail completely. Proper design and reinforcement can help prevent this from happening.

5. How do scientists and engineers calculate and account for axial loading/force in their designs?

Scientists and engineers use mathematical equations, such as Euler's formula, to calculate the maximum axial load that a structure can withstand before it fails. They also consider factors such as the material properties and cross-sectional area of the structure to ensure it can handle the expected loading conditions.