Understanding Axial Loading On a Member

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of axial forces and their relationship to compression and tension. The forces are said to be concentric if they go through the centroid and eccentric if they do not. While Force 1 and 2 are considered axial loading, it is not clear how Forces 3 and 4 are applied and whether they could also be considered axial loading. The conversation also clarifies that axial loads act through or parallel to a member's centroid.
tomtomtom1
Homework Statement
Understanding Axial Loading On A Member
Relevant Equations
Understanding Axial Loading On A Member
Hello all

I was hoping someone could explain Axial Forces with respect to the diagram below.

I know that Axial forces relate to compression or tension and if the forces go through the centriod then it is said to be concentric or if it is not going through the centriod then its said to be eccentric.

I know that Force 1 and 2 are forces that are causing the axial loading but doesn't Force 3 and 4 also cause the member to be in tension so why isn't Force 3 and 4 considered to be the axial loading?
AXFORCeS.JPG
I just want to get it correct in my head and I'm struggling.

Can someone explain?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
Homework Statement:: Understanding Axial Loading On A Member
Homework Equations:: Understanding Axial Loading On A Member

Hello all

I was hoping someone could explain Axial Forces with respect to the diagram below.

I know that Axial forces relate to compression or tension and if the forces go through the centriod then it is said to be concentric or if it is not going through the centriod then its said to be eccentric.

I know that Force 1 and 2 are forces that are causing the axial loading but doesn't Force 3 and 4 also cause the member to be in tension so why isn't Force 3 and 4 considered to be the axial loading?View attachment 254622I just want to get it correct in my head and I'm struggling.

Can someone explain?

Thanks
In the context of rods, beams etc. the axis is considered to be in the long direction. The other pair of forces you show may be termed transverse.
But it is not clear how those other two forces are applied. Are they localised to the places shown, uniformly distributed along strips at top and bottom, uniformly distributed over half cylinders, a result of rotation about the axis ("centrifugal"), ...?

haruspex said:
In the context of rods, beams etc. the axis is considered to be in the long direction. The other pair of forces you show may be termed transverse.
But it is not clear how those other two forces are applied. Are they localised to the places shown, uniformly distributed along strips at top and bottom, uniformly distributed over half cylinders, a result of rotation about the axis ("centrifugal"), ...?

Hi haruspex

I think i get, axial loads act through the centriod of a member or parallel to a member - the bit that cleared things up was the Through / Parallel part.

It makes sense to me thank you.

What is axial loading on a member?

Axial loading on a member refers to the force applied along the axis of the member, either in compression or tension. This type of loading is typically seen in structural components such as columns, beams, and trusses.

What factors affect axial loading on a member?

The primary factors that affect axial loading on a member include the magnitude of the load applied, the material properties of the member, and its geometry (such as length and cross-sectional area). Additionally, the type of support at each end of the member can also impact the amount of axial loading it experiences.

How is axial loading different from other types of loading?

Axial loading is unique from other types of loading, such as bending or shear, because it only applies force along one axis of the member. This means that the entire cross-section of the member is subjected to the same amount of stress, unlike in bending where different parts of the cross-section experience varying levels of stress.

What are the consequences of excessive axial loading on a member?

If a member is subjected to excessive axial loading, it can lead to failure or collapse. This is because the material may not be able to withstand the high compressive or tensile stress, causing it to buckle or break. It is important to properly design and reinforce members to prevent this type of failure.

How is axial loading calculated and analyzed?

To calculate and analyze axial loading on a member, engineers use the principles of mechanics and structural analysis. This involves determining the forces and stresses acting on the member, as well as the member's ability to resist those forces. This information can then be used to design safe and efficient structures.