Understanding the Definition of Boundary in Set Theory for Topological Spaces

In summary, the boundary of a subset A of a topological space X is the set of all elements that are not in A.
Silviu
Hello! This is more of a set theory question I guess, but I have that the definition of the boundary of a subset A of a topological space X is ##\partial A = \bar A \cap \bar B##, with ##B = X - A## (I didn't manage to put the bar over X-A, this is why I used B). I think I have a wrong understanding of the complement of a set because if I take (a,b) on the real axis, the boundary should be {a,b}, but ##\bar A = (- \infty, a] \cup [b, \infty)## while ##B=R-A = (- \infty, a] \cup [b, \infty)## so ##\bar B = (a,b)## and ##\bar A \cap \bar B = \emptyset##. So where exactly I got it wrong? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What was ##\overline{A} = \overline{(a,b)}## again? It's not the complement though!

fresh_42 said:
What was ##\overline{A} = \overline{(a,b)}## again? It's not the complement though!
Doesn't ##\bar A## means all elements not in A? Which in this case is ##(-\infty,a] \cup [b,\infty)##?

No, here it means the closure of ##A##. That is the reason, why the bar isn't a good choice for complements in topology. Some write ##\mathbb{R}-A= A^C## which I find ugly. I prefer to write complements as ##\mathbb{R}-A= \mathbb{R}\backslash A##. In any case, it's a matter of taste, but ##\overline{A}## as the topological closure of ##A## is pretty usual.

Likes Silviu
fresh_42 said:
No, here it means the closure of ##A##. That is the reason, why the bar isn't a good choice for complements in topology. Some write ##\mathbb{R}-A= A^C## which I find ugly. I prefer to write complements as ##\mathbb{R}-A= \mathbb{R}\backslash A##. In any case, it's a matter of taste, but ##\overline{A}## as the topological closure of ##A## is pretty usual.
Oh ok makes sense now. Thank you!

Related to Understanding the Definition of Boundary in Set Theory for Topological Spaces

1. What is the definition of a boundary?

A boundary is a line or limit that marks the edge or extent of something.

2. How do boundaries form?

Boundaries can form naturally, such as through geological processes, or they can be created by humans, such as political boundaries.

3. What are the different types of boundaries?

There are several types of boundaries, including physical boundaries (such as mountains or rivers), cultural boundaries (such as language or religion), and political boundaries (such as borders between countries).

4. Why are boundaries important?

Boundaries help to define and organize space, and can also play a role in shaping cultural and political identities.

5. How do scientists study boundaries?

Scientists use various techniques, such as mapping and remote sensing, to study and understand boundaries, their formation, and their impact on the surrounding environment and societies.