Understanding the Divergence Theorem

In summary, the divergent flux of the curl of the vector field can be computed using Gauss's theorem on a closed surface.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Let Σ = [(x, y, z) ∈ R3 : z=-1/4+√(x^2+y^2) 0 <= z<=1/2]
be a surface oriented
so that the normal versor of Σ forms an obtuse angle with the fundamental versor of the z–axis.
Compute the flux of the curl of the vector field
F(x, y, z) = 2yz *exponontiel(x^2+z^2),3z*exponontiel(x^2+y^2),(0,5x+z)exponontiel(x^2+y^2)
Relevant Equations
Divergence theorem
Good day all
my question is the following

Is it correct to (after calculation the new field which is the curl of the old one)to use the divergence theroem on the volume shown on that picture?
1598617194382.png

The divergence theorem should be applied on a closed surface , can I consider this as closed?
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 1598617076608.png
    1598617076608.png
    4 KB · Views: 171
  • 1598617076608.png
    1598617076608.png
    4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: Let Σ = [(x, y, z) ∈ R3 : z=-1/4+√(x^2+y^2) 0 <= z<=1/2]
be a surface oriented
so that the normal versor of Σ forms an obtuse angle with the fundamental versor of the z–axis.
Compute the flux of the curl of the vector field
F(x, y, z) = 2yz *exponontiel(x^2+z^2),3z*exponontiel(x^2+y^2),(0,5x+z)exponontiel(x^2+y^2)
Relevant Equations:: Divergence theorem

Good day all
my question is the following

Is it correct to (after calculation the new field which is the curl of the old one)to use the divergence theroem on the volume shown on that picture?

The divergence theorem should be applied on a closed surface , can I consider this as closed?
Thanks a lot!

I might be reading the problem incorrectly, but when I read flux of the curl, that suggests an integral of the form:
[tex] \iint_S (\nabla \times \vec F ) \cdot \vec{dS} [/tex]

I am not fully convinced that the surface illustrated is closed as the tops are open? (i.e. am I correct in thinking that the surface does not span across that?) The illustrations (namely the paths) seem to suggest the use of Stokes' theorem to me, but perhaps I am mis-interpreting the photo.

If you were to use Gauss' theorem, then we would have [itex] \nabla \cdot (\nabla \times \vec F ) [/itex], which is 0 for any vector field [itex] \vec F [/itex]. This would suggest the answer would be 0, but I'm not sure that is what the problem is looking for.

I will keep reading to see whether I can make sense of the illustrations.

Likes Amaelle
##\Gamma _1, \text{ and } \Gamma _2## are the top and bottom and they're closed evidently

Likes Amaelle
Thanks a lot for you answer this is exactely what I'm asking for
the exercice describe a cone, and there is then they asked us to calculate the curl of the field over a specific region, my question is : Can I suppose that region closed between (z=0 and z=sqrt(x^2+y^2)-1/4 ) to see it a locked volume even though materially the initial solid is not ( we have a cone)?

let me rephrase my question
we can use the divergence theorem in a sphere because it's geometrically closed
can we use the divergence on a topless and botomless cylinder? ( just suppose the exsitance of a virtual walls?

Amaelle said:
let me rephrase my question
we can use the divergence theorem in a sphere because it's geometrically closed

Yes

Amaelle said:
can we use the divergence on a topless and botomless cylinder? ( just suppose the exsitance of a virtual walls?
No, I don't think so. Including the extra surfaces would add extra contributions into your surface integral.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and Amaelle
thanks a lot !

Likes Master1022
Amaelle said:
thanks a lot !
No problem.

However, there may be tricks involved by using extra surfaces and then doing other integrals to get rid of the extra contributions. Not sure whether that will be easier or not here. For example, if were to include those extra surfaces (top and bottom) and then evaluate the total surface integral (perhaps with gauss theorem) to get some result [itex] R_{total} [/itex]. Then we need to remove the contributions of the bottom and top due to 'outward' pointing vectors. Then we would have two more surface integrals (top and bottom) which we need to evaluate (perhaps with Stokes' Theorem) to yield [itex] R_{bottom} [/itex] and [itex] R_{top} [/itex]. Then we could do: [tex] R_{final} = R_{total} - R_{top} - R_{bottom} [/tex]
That should yield the correct result, but am not sure whether that would shorten or elongate the working time...

Hope that makes some sense. If not, am happy to explain further, but it was only another (potentially longer) method of reaching the solution.

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
thanks a million it does really help

Yes a closed surface is a surface with no boundaries. The surface in your problem has two boundaries, so it is not closed. But you can still use @Master1022's approach of considering a closed surface consisting of the given surface joined to two other surfaces with boundaries ##\Gamma_1## and ##\Gamma_2## respectively, and then subtracting off the flux through these two surfaces :smile:

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
Thanks a lot :)

There seems to be some confusion here.

You are asked to compute [tex]
\int_\Sigma \nabla \times \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{S}.[/tex] That can be done using Stokes's Theoem: [tex]
\int_\Sigma \nabla \times \mathbf{F}\cdot d\mathbf{S} = \oint_{\partial \Sigma} \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{x}.[/tex] Here [itex]\partial \Sigma[/itex] consists of two disjoint curves, oriented as shown in the diagram.

• Informative
Likes Delta2, etotheipi and Amaelle
yes true , thanks a lot, but I was also trying to see if I can use the divergence theorem with the new field (the curl of the old one) and the volume would be the closed volume shown on the picture

Go For It!

• Love
Likes Amaelle

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the behavior of the vector field inside the surface. It is also known as Gauss's Theorem or Ostrogradsky's Theorem.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in science?

The Divergence Theorem is used in many areas of science, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It allows scientists to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field through a closed surface, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of these fields.

3. What is the formula for the Divergence Theorem?

The formula for the Divergence Theorem is ∫∫∫V (div F) dV = ∫∫S F · dS, where F is a vector field, V is a closed volume, S is the boundary surface of V, and div F is the divergence of F.

4. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem in vector calculus?

The Divergence Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the behavior of a vector field inside a closed surface to its behavior on the surface itself. It is an important tool for solving problems in vector calculus and is used extensively in many areas of science and engineering.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many real-world applications, including calculating the flow of fluids through pipes, analyzing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and determining the rate of heat transfer in thermodynamics. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic simulations of fluid and gas flows.