Understanding the Impact of Mass on Falling Objects: Applying Newton's 2nd Law

In summary, the falling object experiences a force due to its acceleration, which is inversely proportional to the mass of the object.
motleycat
I am trying to explain why a small object falling from a short distance on another object does not have the same impact as a bigger object falling from the same height on another object by using Newton's 2nd Law but I get stuck all the time.
Can somebody please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get stuck? You speak of comparing the "impact", I read that as comparing the force of impact. There is a force in Newton's second law. I would set that equation up for each situation and compare the forces.

motleycat said:
I am trying to explain why a small object falling from a short distance on another object does not have the same impact as a bigger object falling from the same height on another object by using Newton's 2nd Law but I get stuck all the time.
Can somebody please help me?

The falling object is moving at some speed when it strikes its target. A very short time later it has stopped. Therefore it has experienced some acceleration. The force of the impact is what causes that acceleration. According to Newton's second law, how is the force related to the mass?

Nugatory said:
The falling object is moving at some speed when it strikes its target. A very short time later it has stopped. Therefore it has experienced some acceleration. The force of the impact is what causes that acceleration. According to Newton's second law, how is the force related to the mass?

The force equals the mass times the acceleration.

motleycat said:
The force equals the mass times the acceleration.

And so... Where is the problem that you are having here?

Even trying to deal with your question via qualitative, hand-waving way, the fact that the force of impact here is dependent on the mass should already give you the ability to address your original post, don't you think so?

Zz.

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be.

2. How is Newton's 2nd Law applied?

Newton's 2nd Law is applied by using the formula F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the three variables, depending on the information given.

3. What is the unit of measurement for force in Newton's 2nd Law?

The unit of measurement for force in Newton's 2nd Law is Newtons (N). This unit is named after Sir Isaac Newton and is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

4. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to objects moving at a constant velocity?

No, Newton's 2nd Law only applies to objects that are experiencing a change in their velocity, either through acceleration or deceleration. If an object is moving at a constant velocity, the net force acting on it is zero, and therefore Newton's 2nd Law does not apply.

5. How does Newton's 2nd Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's 2nd Law is evident in many everyday situations. For example, when we push a shopping cart, the force we apply causes it to accelerate. The same principle applies to driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. Understanding Newton's 2nd Law can also help us design and improve technologies, such as cars and airplanes.