Understanding the Kinetic Trans Effect?

• Thread starter fangrz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinetic
In summary, the kinetic trans effect and the spectrochemical series do not have exact correlations due to their different focuses on bonding strength and transition state stability, as well as the importance of pi-acidity for different reasons.
fangrz
Can anybody explain or give me clues to why the kinetic trans effect and the spectrochemical series do not have exact correlations? I know it has something to do with filled p orbitals, but I cannot figure it out.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The spectrochemical series has to do with the strength of bonding between a metal center and its ligands, while the trans effect has to do with the stability of pentacoordinate transition states in ligand substitution of square planar complexes. It's not clear to me why you think they would be exactly correlated in the first place. Pi-acidity is important in both cases, but for somewhat different reasons.

Related to Understanding the Kinetic Trans Effect?

What is the Kinetic Trans Effect?

The Kinetic Trans Effect is a phenomenon observed in chemical reactions where a ligand is preferentially substituted on the opposite side of a metal ion, compared to other ligands.

What causes the Kinetic Trans Effect?

The Kinetic Trans Effect is primarily caused by the difference in stability between the cis and trans isomers of a complex. The trans isomer is typically more stable, leading to a higher substitution rate on the cis side due to steric hindrance.

How does the Kinetic Trans Effect affect chemical reactions?

The Kinetic Trans Effect can significantly impact the rate of a chemical reaction, as the trans isomer is often more stable and therefore more likely to undergo substitution. This can result in a higher yield of the trans product.

What are some examples of the Kinetic Trans Effect in action?

One example of the Kinetic Trans Effect is the substitution of halides in square planar complexes. In this case, the trans halide is typically substituted faster than the cis halide due to steric hindrance from the other ligands.

How can the Kinetic Trans Effect be utilized in chemistry?

The Kinetic Trans Effect can be used to selectively synthesize trans products in certain reactions. By understanding and manipulating the factors that contribute to this effect, chemists can control the outcome of a reaction to produce a desired product.