Understanding the method of Green's function

In summary, the method of Greens functions for PDEs involves solving for a particular boundary condition and then using convolution to obtain the solution for the original problem. This is possible because convolution is like superposition with time delay and/or spatial separation, and any function can be decomposed into an infinite progression of delta spikes. By taking the convolution, you are essentially taking the intrinsic response to an instantaneous outside impulse and integrating over all the spikes. This understanding can help in solving problems involving Laplace's equation, as it allows for finding the temperature distribution at a specific point by fixing the temperature at that point and then using convolution to consider the effects of all other points on the boundary.
alivedude
I'm trying to understand the derivation for methods of Greens functions for PDEs but I can't get my head around some parts. I'm starting to feel comfortable with the method itself but I want to understand why it works.

The thing I have problem with is quite crucial and it is the following:

I have the general problem ##-\Delta u=0## in the upper half plane and some boundary condition ##g(x)## on the ##x##-axis itself. Why is it enough to solve ##-\Delta u=0## for ##y>0## and ##u(x,o)=\delta(x)## and then use the convolution to get the solution for the original problem? I have the whole derivation in front of me but I can't get a intuitive feeling about what is going on with the delta function, how can one just replace the boundary condition with a Dirac's delta and still get a solution that works for an arbitrary ##g(x)##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Convolution is like superposition with time delay and/or spatial separation. For example, consider a damped spring. Suppose the spring loses all its energy and sticks after 10 seconds, but someone gives it a quick push of 5 Newtons every 15 seconds. As you'd expect, the spring will oscillate and damp out in exactly the same way starting the moment it gets pushed until 10 seconds later, then it sits still for 5 seconds, and then repeats with the next push. The driving force in this case is a periodic delta function, ## F(t) = \sum 5\delta(t - 15n) ## for all positive integers n. As it turns out, in this special case, the solution repeats periodically too: ## x(t) = \sum Aexp(-\beta (t - 15n))cos(\omega (t-15n)) ##. The idea is that you're taking the spring's intrinsic response to an instantaneous outside impulse (aka Dirac delta spike) and integrating over all the spikes. That "intrinsic response" is the Greens function. The trick is that the driving force, which more generally is just an inhomogenous term in an autonomous linear differential equation, doesn't have to be spread out like in my example. Any function can be decomposed into an infinite progression of delta spikes, as in: ## f(x) = \int f(x') \delta(x - x') dx ##. Think of that integral as an infinite sum over delta spikes located at point x' with height f(x').

For your particular example, think about what that scenario would look like. You're solving Laplace's equation, so imagine that u is a steady state temperature distribution. Solving ## u(x,0) = \delta(x) ## is like solving for the temperature distribution you would see if you only fixed the temperature at the point (0,0). By taking the convolution, you're taking those temperature distributions, centering them on a boundary point (x',0), scaling by the magnitude g(x'), and summing up over all the points on that boundary (i.e., integrating over x').

Twigg said:
Convolution is like superposition with time delay and/or spatial separation. For example, consider a damped spring. Suppose the spring loses all its energy and sticks after 10 seconds, but someone gives it a quick push of 5 Newtons every 15 seconds. As you'd expect, the spring will oscillate and damp out in exactly the same way starting the moment it gets pushed until 10 seconds later, then it sits still for 5 seconds, and then repeats with the next push. The driving force in this case is a periodic delta function, ## F(t) = \sum 5\delta(t - 15n) ## for all positive integers n. As it turns out, in this special case, the solution repeats periodically too: ## x(t) = \sum Aexp(-\beta (t - 15n))cos(\omega (t-15n)) ##. The idea is that you're taking the spring's intrinsic response to an instantaneous outside impulse (aka Dirac delta spike) and integrating over all the spikes. That "intrinsic response" is the Greens function. The trick is that the driving force, which more generally is just an inhomogenous term in an autonomous linear differential equation, doesn't have to be spread out like in my example. Any function can be decomposed into an infinite progression of delta spikes, as in: ## f(x) = \int f(x') \delta(x - x') dx ##. Think of that integral as an infinite sum over delta spikes located at point x' with height f(x').

For your particular example, think about what that scenario would look like. You're solving Laplace's equation, so imagine that u is a steady state temperature distribution. Solving ## u(x,0) = \delta(x) ## is like solving for the temperature distribution you would see if you only fixed the temperature at the point (0,0). By taking the convolution, you're taking those temperature distributions, centering them on a boundary point (x',0), scaling by the magnitude g(x'), and summing up over all the points on that boundary (i.e., integrating over x').

Thank you! This helped a lot! Now I can actually understand what's going on here.

1. What is the purpose of using Green's function in scientific research?

Green's function is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It allows researchers to model complex systems and analyze the behavior of physical phenomena.

2. How does Green's function differ from other mathematical methods?

Unlike other methods, Green's function takes into account the boundary conditions of a system, making it more accurate in modeling real-world situations. It also allows for the solution of non-homogeneous equations, which are common in many scientific problems.

3. Can Green's function be applied to all types of differential equations?

No, Green's function is specifically designed for linear, time-invariant systems. It is not applicable to non-linear or time-varying equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using Green's function?

One limitation is that Green's function can only be used for systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom. It also assumes that the system is linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How is Green's function used in practical applications?

Green's function has a wide range of applications, including in electromagnetics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It is used to solve problems such as modeling the behavior of electric circuits, predicting the temperature distribution in a heated object, and understanding the wave function of a particle in a potential well.