Understanding the Order & Degree of a DE

• Thread starter Jones1987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the order of the given differential equation is 5, the degree is 1, and the non-linear terms are the values in brackets. The degree is determined by the power to which the highest order derivative is raised.
Jones1987

Homework Statement

My question wants me to give the Order of the DE, Degree of the DE, and Non-Linear terms in the DE

Homework Equations

[d^2/dx^2 y(x)]^6 + d^4/dx^4 y(x) + [d^5/dx5 y(x)][d/dx y(x)] + x^4[d^3/dx^3 y(x)] = 3cos(2y(x)) + x^2 - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the Order is 5, I know the Non-Linear are the values in brackets, but my teacher has the answer for the Degree = 1

Why is this? I thought it would be 6, as the degree of a DE is the highest derivative term. Or is it because there are more terms with the power of 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The degree is the power to which the highest order derivative is raised. Your 5th order derivative is raised to the first power.

Ahhhhh, I see. Thank you, couldn't find a simple answer for ages. Very much appreciated!

Related to Understanding the Order & Degree of a DE

1. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. It is denoted by 'n' and determines the number of independent variables needed to represent the solution.

2. What is the degree of a differential equation?

The degree of a differential equation is the exponent of the highest derivative present in the equation. It is denoted by 'm' and determines the complexity of the equation.

3. How are the order and degree related in a differential equation?

The order and degree of a differential equation are related by the formula m = n + p, where 'p' is the number of independent variables in the equation. This means that for a differential equation with 'n' derivatives and 'p' variables, the degree will be 'n + p'.

4. Why is it important to understand the order and degree of a differential equation?

Understanding the order and degree of a differential equation is important because it helps in determining the complexity of the equation and the number of independent variables needed to solve it. This information is crucial in finding the appropriate methods to solve the equation and obtaining an accurate solution.

5. Can the order and degree of a differential equation change?

Yes, the order and degree of a differential equation can change depending on the mathematical manipulation done to the equation. For example, taking the derivative of a differential equation can increase its order, while taking the integral can decrease its order.