Understanding the Passive Sign Convention: A Guide for Electrical Engineers

In summary, voltage drop refers to a decrease in voltage from a higher positive value to a lower positive value. When analyzing a circuit, a convention is chosen to determine the positive terminal and current direction. If a negative number is obtained, it indicates that the convention was chosen incorrectly. The problem statement may be unclear as it mentions voltage drop between two terminals with opposite polarities. It is recommended to clarify with the instructor for better understanding.
Eto
Homework Statement
Please help. I've tried understanding why the values are what they are but I keep getting confused. Can I get a detailed and clear instruction simple enough for a potato to understand.
I understand that both currents are negative because the current to 1 is positive but even then, I need help.
Relevant Equations
I don't know if any equations are involved to make it more understandable
1580782620294.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is your question? Voltage drop implies the voltage has decreased, from a higher value positive to a lower positive. The convention is that current enters into the positive side (higher positive voltage) of a passive device and exits from the negative terminal.

When analyzing an unknow circuit, you often choose a convention (pick a positive terminal and a current direction). Sometimes you get a negative number, which means that you guessed wrong. But not to worry, it just means it is in the opposite direction.

The wording in the problem statement seems a little vague to me, though. They say voltage drop between 1 and 2, but on one of them terminal 1 is positive, the other has terminal 2 positive. To me, that suggests putting the positive lead of a voltmeter on the one labeled (+). Then they say "current entering terminal 1, but then the arrow may be different. My guess is that you hook up an ammeter in such a way that you're expecting a positive number based on the arrow. If you can, try to ask your instructor for clarity as to what you are answering.

Likes anorlunda

1. What is the passive sign convention in electrical engineering?

The passive sign convention is a set of rules that dictate the direction of current and voltage in a circuit. It states that current flows from high potential to low potential and voltage is measured in the direction of current flow.

2. Why is it important for electrical engineers to understand the passive sign convention?

Understanding the passive sign convention is crucial for accurately analyzing and designing electrical circuits. It helps engineers to properly label and interpret the direction of current and voltage, ensuring the circuit functions as intended.

3. How is the passive sign convention used in circuit analysis?

The passive sign convention is used in conjunction with Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws to determine the voltage and current values at different points in a circuit. It helps engineers to solve for unknown values and verify the accuracy of their calculations.

4. Are there any exceptions to the passive sign convention?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the passive sign convention. For example, in some cases, current may flow from low potential to high potential due to the presence of a negative source. These exceptions are important to note and should be considered when analyzing circuits.

5. How can I remember the passive sign convention?

One way to remember the passive sign convention is to think of it as "high to low, out to in." This means that current flows from high potential to low potential and voltage is measured in the direction of current flow. Additionally, practicing with examples and regularly using the convention in circuit analysis will help solidify it in your memory.