Understanding the Relationship Between One-Way ANOVA and Regression Models

In summary, the conversation discusses the one-way ANOVA model and how to show that Y_{ij} can be written as Y_{ij} = \mu + \sum_{i=1}^I \alpha_l z_{ijl} + e_{ij} by defining z_{ijl} and proving \alpha_i = \sum_{i=1}^I \alpha_l z_{ijl}. The speaker is unsure how to proceed with the proof when j is a free variable.
MaxManus

Homework Statement

Assume a one way anova model:

[tex] Y_{ij} =\my + \alpha_i + e_{ij} [/tex]

where e are independent, normal distributed with variance sigma and expectation = 0

Define:
[tex] z_{ijl} = 1 [/tex] if i = l, and 0 else
Show that:

[tex] Y_{ij} = \mu + \sum_{i=1}^I \alpha_l z_{ijl} + e_{ij} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to show that
[tex] \alpha_i = \sum_{i=1}^I \alpha_l z_{ijl}[/tex]

But how can they be equal when we have a free j?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is if i = l, then z_{ijl} = 1 and 0 else, but that doesn't help me when j is free.I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Related to Understanding the Relationship Between One-Way ANOVA and Regression Models

1. What is the purpose of rewriting sums in regression?

The purpose of rewriting sums in regression is to simplify and organize the data in a more meaningful way. By rewriting sums, we can identify patterns and relationships between variables, which can then be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

2. How do you rewrite sums in regression?

To rewrite sums in regression, we use mathematical techniques such as substituting variables, factoring, and expanding. These techniques help us to manipulate and rearrange the data into a more useful form for analysis.

3. What are some common applications of regression analysis?

Regression analysis is commonly used in fields such as statistics, economics, and social sciences to study the relationship between variables and make predictions. It is also used in business and finance to analyze trends and forecast future outcomes.

4. What is the difference between linear and nonlinear regression?

The main difference between linear and nonlinear regression is the type of relationship between the variables being studied. Linear regression assumes a linear relationship between the variables, while nonlinear regression allows for more complex relationships, such as exponential or quadratic.

5. How do you interpret the results of a regression analysis?

The results of a regression analysis typically include a regression equation, which can be used to predict values for the dependent variable based on the values of the independent variable(s). Additionally, the results may also include a coefficient of determination (R-squared) which indicates the strength of the relationship between the variables. It is important to carefully consider the data and assumptions before drawing conclusions from the results of a regression analysis.