Understanding the Role of Series Resistors in Piece-Wise Linear Diode Models

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in solving for current in a circuit with a battery and resistance diode model. The correct KVL equation is given as I=(VDD-VD0)/(R+rd), taking into account the voltage drops across both resistors. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the position of resistors in a circuit and how it affects the overall voltage drop. After some algebra, the correct equation for current is determined to be I=(-Vd0+5)/(R+rd).
dalarev
I am NOT trying to solve this as a homework problem, I'm just trying to dig out basic concepts that I'm missing when using this battery+resistance diode model.I'm having trouble seeing why, when solving for current, KCL equation does NOT work out as:

1) I= (0-Va)/rd
2) I=(Va-(-5))/R

where Va is the voltage at node a, rd is the diode resistance, and Vd0 is the diode voltage drop.

I understand that the resistors are in series, and there is only one current, so the correct Kirchoff's equation should be:

I=(0-Vd0)/(rd+R)

But each resistor is responsible for a (different) voltage drop. The position of the resistors, even if they are in series, is specific. We can see this by measuring voltages before and after a resistor. Hopefully somebody can provide a fullproof explanation for this.

Attachments

• pwlinear.JPG
    pwlinear.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 526
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's an example directly from the book which very clearly shows the question that I have:

They give us the equation for the current, since there is only one current, and the resistors are in series.

My question is, why is the equation for I NOT:

1) I=(Vdd-Vd0)/R
2) I=(Vd0-0)/rd

Each resistor is responsible for a voltage drop, meaning that it is important where each resistor is located. Where am I going wrong?

Attachments

• pwlin2.JPG
    pwlin2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 464
VDD - VD0 gives the sum of the voltage drops across R and rD, hence the given equation for I.

1) I=(Vdd-Vd0)/R
No, because (Vdd-Vd0) is not the voltage across R.

2) I=(Vd0-0)/rd
No, because Vd0 is not the voltage drop across rD

Redbelly98 said:
No, because (Vdd-Vd0) is not the voltage across R.

Why not? I'm just following from one voltage source to another, isn't that how KCL works?

It's KVL that we want to use here ... KCL just tells us that the current is the same through each element in the loop.

According to KVL:

VDD - ID*R - VD0 - ID*rD = 0​

You can rearrange that to get

VDD - VD0 = ID*R + ID*rD

Note the right-hand-side has the voltages across both resistors.

Thanks for that, made me realize something I didn't recall:

Consider the entire voltage across the diode, first; then, KVL becomes:

I=(-vd-(-5))/R

from node a to Vss. Now, realizing that for this diode model, the voltage across the diode, (variable) vd:

vd=Vd0+I*rd

where Vd0 is the intrinsic threshold voltage (constant).

Substituting in the original equation for I and playing around with some algebra leads us to:

I=(-Vd0+5)/(R+rd)

which I'm hoping is the right answer. Thanks for the refresher.

Looks good, assuming -V = -5V in your first circuit.

Related to Understanding the Role of Series Resistors in Piece-Wise Linear Diode Models

What is a piece-wise linear diode model?

A piece-wise linear diode model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a diode in a circuit. It is based on the assumption that the diode has a linear relationship between its voltage and current at different intervals or "pieces" of the voltage range.

Why is a piece-wise linear diode model used?

The piece-wise linear diode model is used because it provides a more accurate representation of the diode's behavior compared to other simpler models. It takes into account the non-linear behavior of a diode and can be used to analyze circuits with multiple diodes.

What are the limitations of a piece-wise linear diode model?

One limitation of the piece-wise linear diode model is that it assumes the diode is an ideal device with no resistance, which may not accurately reflect the behavior of a real diode. Additionally, the model may not accurately predict the behavior of the diode at very high or low voltages.

How is a piece-wise linear diode model created?

A piece-wise linear diode model is created by using a series of linear equations to approximate the non-linear relationship between voltage and current of a diode. These equations are based on experimental data and can be adjusted to fit different types of diodes.

What is the importance of a piece-wise linear diode model in circuit analysis?

The piece-wise linear diode model is important in circuit analysis as it allows for a more accurate prediction of the behavior of a diode in a circuit. This is crucial for designing and optimizing circuits for specific applications, as well as troubleshooting and diagnosing issues in existing circuits.