I-V characteristics of a diode

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment to plot the IV characteristics of a diode. The person connected a resistor, diode, and milli ammeter in series and a voltmeter across the diode. They measured the diode voltage and current and noticed that changing the resistor resulted in different diode voltage readings. The person then mentioned waiting for 15 minutes for the diode to cool back to normal temperature and also mentioned the resistance of the ammeter and voltmeter. They questioned whether these factors could have caused the difference in readings and asked for more details about the experiment setup.
user20161768
I was doing an experiment to plot the IV characteristics of a diode. I connected a resistor, diode and milli ammeter in series. I connected a voltmeter across the diode. I measured the diode voltage and diode current. When i changed the resistor, I got a different set of diode voltage readings for the corresponding diode current. Why are the readings different?

Before I changed the resistor, i waited for 15 mins to allow the diode to cool back to normal temperature. The ammeter resistance is 0 and voltmeter resistance is infinite.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting. I would think they would be the same. Are you sure you weren't comparing 50 mA to 500 mA or something? Could be easy to do depending on your meter.

user20161768 said:
... The ammeter resistance is 0 and voltmeter resistance is infinite.
Well there's one factor, because your ammeter will not be zero resistance and your voltmeter will not be infinite. You'd like them to be, but they can't be perfect. *
Typically an electronic voltmeter is about 10MΩ and your milliammeter maybe 1Ω.

Without knowing the details of what size resistors and what meters you were using, it's hard to say whether this was the cause of your error. Perhaps you could give details? What diode, what meters, what voltage supply, what range of currents you tested and which test gave you the problematic results.

Edit: * Unless you mean you are using simulation software, rather than doing a real experiment!

Likes CWatters
I wonder if your circuit connections are correct. It sounds as if you are measuring voltage across the resistor rather than across the diode.

What is a diode?

A diode is a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction. It has two terminals, an anode and a cathode, and is commonly used in electronic circuits.

What is an I-V characteristic of a diode?

The I-V characteristic of a diode is a graph that shows the relationship between the current (I) flowing through the diode and the voltage (V) applied across it. It is a non-linear curve and depends on the type of diode and the materials used.

What is forward bias and reverse bias in a diode?

Forward bias is when the positive terminal of a voltage source is connected to the anode of a diode and the negative terminal is connected to the cathode. This allows current to flow through the diode. Reverse bias is when the positive terminal is connected to the cathode and the negative terminal is connected to the anode, which blocks the flow of current.

What is the breakdown voltage of a diode?

The breakdown voltage of a diode is the voltage at which the diode starts to conduct in the reverse direction. This can cause permanent damage to the diode and is usually specified in the diode's datasheet.

What is the knee voltage in a diode?

The knee voltage is the point on the I-V characteristic curve where the diode starts to conduct in the forward direction. It is also known as the threshold voltage and is typically around 0.7V for silicon diodes and 0.3V for germanium diodes.