Understanding the Steps to Relativistic Momentum

In summary: I was just making an observation.In summary, the conversation is about solving for velocity in the relativistic momentum equation. The conversation participants discuss the basic algebraic steps involved in solving for v and suggest using Latex for equations. The mentor mentions giving the problem to their class and the possibility of remote cheating through online help.
ozni
Homework Statement
Relativistic momentum find v
Relevant Equations
Relativistic momentum equation
special.JPG
How does this end up +? Can't work out steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
ozni said:
Homework Statement:: Relativistic momentum find v
Relevant Equations:: Relativistic momentum equation

View attachment 314226How does this end up +? Can't work out steps.
Please show your attempts. Solving for v here only involves basic algebra.

Likes malawi_glenn and topsquark
Hi @ozni. As you may know, you have to show evidence of your own work first, before we help.

This is just an exercise in algebra. To get you started:
1) square both sides of your equation for p;
2) get rid of the fraction on the right side: remember ##A = \frac BC## rearranged becomes ##AC = B##;
(You can reverse steps 1 and 2 if you prefer., or combine the steps if your algebra is good enough.)
3) see if you can manipulate what you now have to get an expression for ##v^2##, then take the square root.

Post your working, or as much of it as you can do, here. We prefer you use Latex for equations (see guide in bottom left of edit-window).

Edit: Aha - @Orodruin just beat me to it. But since I've already written my reply, I'll post anyway.

Likes topsquark
Its funny, I gave this problem to my class today. Perhaps you are a student of mine :)

• Haha
Likes topsquark and PeroK
malawi_glenn said:
Its funny, I gave this problem to my class today. Perhaps you are a student of mine :)
Not unless they are a *very* remote learning student. Using my Mentor superpowers, you two are posting from opposite sides of the planet. :smile:

berkeman said:
Not unless they are a *very* remote learning student. Using my Mentor superpowers, you two are posting from opposite sides of the planet. :smile:
Where there is remote learning, there can be remote cheating ##\dots##

• Wow
Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
Seeking help on PF is not necessarily cheating.

I agree and I never said it was.

1. What is relativistic momentum?

Relativistic momentum is the measure of an object's motion in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity. It takes into account the object's mass, velocity, and the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum different from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum differs from classical momentum in that it becomes infinite as an object approaches the speed of light, whereas classical momentum would simply continue to increase. This is due to the fact that relativistic momentum takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

3. What are the steps to calculating relativistic momentum?

The steps to calculating relativistic momentum are as follows: 1) Determine the object's mass, 2) Determine the object's velocity, 3) Multiply the mass by the velocity, and 4) Divide the result by the square root of 1 minus the velocity squared over the speed of light squared (p = mv/√(1-v^2/c^2)).

4. Why is understanding relativistic momentum important?

Understanding relativistic momentum is important because it allows us to accurately describe the motion of objects at high speeds, which is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental principles of Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Are there any real-world applications of relativistic momentum?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of relativistic momentum. For example, it is used in the design and operation of particle accelerators, as well as in the study of high-speed collisions in space. It also plays a role in the development of technologies such as GPS and satellite communication systems.