Understanding the Use of Grassman Numbers in Fermionic Fields: A QFT Guide

• A
  • Thread starter bengeof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discussed the individual's background in quantum mechanics, classical fields, and particle physics, with a particular focus on Feynman rules for QED and QCD. They also mentioned their current studies in QFT and expressed a need for help in understanding the use of Grassman numbers in fermionic fields and their role in the quantization process. They mentioned having difficulty understanding the Wiki article on Grassman numbers and requested further clarification.
bengeof
My background is QM as done in Griffiths( So yes I have a background of operators, observables and scattering matrix), Classical fields as done in Goldstein and Particle physics as in Griffiths. Griffiths actually works out Feynman rules for QED and QCD. I've started QFT with Peskin and Schroeder and Zee's QFT in a nutshell. I need help in understanding the use of Grassman numbers in fermionic fields

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

Likes dextercioby
What is grassman numbers? I didn't understand the wiki article on it. . and how is it used in the quantization of fermionic fields ?

Thanks

bengeof said:
What is grassman numbers? I didn't understand the wiki article on it. . and how is it used in the quantization of fermionic fields ?

Thanks
This is far too general for us to be of much use without writing a textbook style introduction. You say you have read the Wiki page, exactly what about them did you run into problems with?

Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis

1. What are Grassman numbers?

Grassman numbers are mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to represent fermionic fields. They are non-commuting numbers that satisfy the rules of anti-commutation, similar to how ordinary numbers satisfy the rules of multiplication and addition.

2. How are Grassman numbers used in quantum field theory?

Grassman numbers are used to describe fermionic fields, which are fields that represent particles with half-integer spin. They are also used to construct the Lagrangian of a quantum field theory, which is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of a system.

3. How do Grassman numbers differ from ordinary numbers?

Unlike ordinary numbers, Grassman numbers do not commute when multiplied together. This means that the order in which they are multiplied matters. They also have the property of anti-commutation, meaning that the product of two Grassman numbers is equal to the negative of the product in the opposite order.

4. Why are Grassman numbers important in quantum field theory?

Grassman numbers are important in quantum field theory because they allow us to describe fermionic fields, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of elementary particles. They also play a key role in constructing the Lagrangian, which is essential for making predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of Grassman numbers?

Yes, there are practical applications of Grassman numbers in fields such as physics, mathematics, and computer science. They are used in quantum field theory to study the behavior of particles, in mathematics to solve problems involving non-commutative algebra, and in computer science to develop efficient algorithms for certain types of calculations.