Understanding Vacuum Energy: A Key to Unifying QFT and GR?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum energy and its potential role in unifying quantum field theory and general relativity. It is noted that vacuum energy is associated with the vacuum diagrams of a given theory and that it should add up to give a value for the cosmological constant. However, the experimental value is much smaller than the predicted value, leading to the cosmological constant problem. The conversation also mentions the influence of gravity on vacuum energy and the limitations of only considering energy differences.
rollete
I often wonder about how little I understand vacuum, and only recently I've been paying attention to this "vacuum energy" hypothetical.

I see it being associated with things as small as spontaneous emissions to things as large as the expansion of the universe. This is a huge range of length scales. I know of no other force (or energy or whatever) with that kind of reach.

What could this potentially mean?

As far as we can observe, is it reasonable to hypothesize that "vacuum energy" is scale invariant (does it make sense to say that energy or energy potential is scale invariant?), hereby enabling the coupling of physical phenomena from different length scales, and maybe even holding the key to the unification of QFT with GR?

Or am I smoking crack?

Have to say that it looks like a promising concept, even though I don't really understand what/how it is yet. Hence, I defer the title question to the experts.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also need to learn a lot about vacuum energy and QFT in general. But from what I know vacuum energy is associated with the vacuum diagrams of a given theory. Usually one sets the vacuum energy to zero, which is equivalent to normal ordering quantum fields. We do this because we only care about energy differences.

All this is fine until we consider gravity. Gravity couples to energy, so the vacuum energy will have a gravitational effect. Supposedly the vacuum energy of all fields in the universe should add up to give a value for the cosmological constant, and this calculaton was done by S. Weinberg (he may have been the first, not too sure on that). Yet, the experimental value of the cosmological constant is order of magnetudes smaller than the predicted value accoding to QFT. This calculation, which may be dubbed the worst prediction in physics, is the cosmological constant problem.

Yes, I've read about it.

Here's an article: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/vacuum.html

Have the feeling that no one really knows what (and if) vacuum energy really is.

Likes Lucas SV
Lucas SV said:
We do this because we only care about energy differences.

You can only care about energy difference as long as you ignore gravity and work in flat Minkovski space. With GR, energy tensor itself, not the difference, affects curvature.

nikkkom said:
You can only care about energy difference as long as you ignore gravity and work in flat Minkovski space. With GR, energy tensor itself, not the difference, affects curvature.
Yes, of course. This is why I said "All this is fine until we consider gravity" ...

Likes nikkkom

Question 1: What is vacuum energy?

Vacuum energy, also known as zero-point energy, is the lowest possible energy state that a quantum mechanical physical system may have. It refers to the energy that exists in a vacuum even when there is no matter or radiation present.

Question 2: How is vacuum energy related to the vacuum of space?

Vacuum energy is a concept that arises from quantum field theory, which explains the behavior of particles and fields in space. In this theory, the vacuum is not truly empty but is instead filled with virtual particles that constantly pop in and out of existence, giving rise to vacuum energy.

Question 3: Can vacuum energy be harnessed for practical use?

Currently, there is no known way to harness vacuum energy for practical use. This is because the energy is incredibly small and difficult to access. However, some scientists are exploring ways to potentially extract and use vacuum energy in the future.

Question 4: How does vacuum energy impact the universe?

Vacuum energy plays a crucial role in the universe by influencing the expansion of space. It is thought to be the cause of the accelerating expansion of the universe, known as dark energy. It also affects the behavior of particles and fields on a small scale.

Question 5: Is vacuum energy the same as dark energy?

While vacuum energy and dark energy are related concepts, they are not the same thing. Vacuum energy refers to the energy present in a vacuum, while dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up the majority of the universe and is responsible for its accelerating expansion.