Understanding Voltage Division in Circuits: A Superposition Approach

In summary: The conversation discusses the use of voltage division to solve a problem involving multiple inputs and resistors. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the voltage using the formula Vout = Vin x R2 / R1 + R2, but the resulting answer is incorrect. The expert suggests using superposition to solve the problem, which involves calculating the contribution of each input separately and then adding them together. The final answer is found to be -1.11V.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Calculate v (refer to attachment).

Homework Equations

Voltage division: Vout = Vin x R2 / R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

V1 = V1 x R2 / R1 + R2
= 15 x 5 / 10 + 5
= 5V

V2 = V2 x R4 / R3 + R4
= 5 x 2 / 10 + 2
= 0.83V

V = 5 + 0.83
= 5.83V

But my answer is wrong. Could someone please tell me what's wrong?

Attachments

• Voltage division.png
    Voltage division.png
    569 bytes · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried nodal analysis, or are you supposed to use "voltage division" to solve it for academic perfection of the technique?

[tex]I_1 + I_2 + I_3 + I_4 = 0[/tex]
where I_1 through i_4 refer to the four currents going through the four resistors. Every single current can be written in terms of the voltage across the resistor and the resistance.

I am supposed to use voltage division.

In connection with how the current flows (if this was part of an actual circuit), would it be like this:

*The current from the +15V supply (I1) spilts into 2 currents: the one flows from the midpoint to Earth (I2), and the other one flows to the right of the mid point (I3). I1 = I2 + I3.
*The current from the +5V supply (I4) spilts into 2 currents: the one flows from the midpoint to Earth (I5), and the other one flows to the right of midpoint (I6). I4 = I5 + I6.
*I3 would have joined with I6 then traveled through the same line as v and onwards.

TsAmE said:

Homework Statement

Calculate v (refer to attachment).

Homework Equations

Voltage division: Vout = Vin x R2 / R1 + R2

The Attempt at a Solution

V1 = V1 x R2 / R1 + R2
= 15 x 5 / 10 + 5
= 5V

V2 = V2 x R4 / R3 + R4
= 5 x 2 / 10 + 2
= 0.83V

V = 5 + 0.83
= 5.83V

But my answer is wrong. Could someone please tell me what's wrong?

I don't know how to use "voltage division" when you have multiple inputs like that. Doesn't make sense to me... Maybe there's some superposition trick, but I'm not seeing it.

berkeman said:
... Maybe there's some superposition trick, ...

I think you are right. Superposition with voltage division can solve this.

1) Contribution of +15V:

V=(2k||10k||5k)*15/(10k+2k||10k||5k)=1.25k*15/(10k+1.25k)=1.667V

2) Contribution of -15V:

V=(2k||10k||10k)*(-15V)/(5k+2k||10k||10k)=1.429k*(-15)/(6.429)=-3.333V

3) Contribution of 5V:

V=(2k||10k||5k)*5V/(10k+2k||10k||5k)=1.25k*5V/(10k+1.25k)=0.556V

Superposition:
V=1.667-3.333+0.556=-1.11V

I have a http://www.solved-problems.com/tag/voltage-divider/". I need to add one similar to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understanding Voltage Division in Circuits: A Superposition Approach

1. What is voltage division?

Voltage division is a principle used to calculate the voltage across different resistors in a series circuit. It states that the voltage across each resistor is proportional to its resistance value.

2. How do you calculate voltage division?

To calculate voltage division, you need to know the resistance values of each resistor in the circuit. Then, you can use the formula V = Vs(Rx/RT), where V is the voltage across the resistor, Vs is the total source voltage, Rx is the resistance of the specific resistor, and RT is the total resistance of the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of voltage division?

The purpose of voltage division is to determine the voltage across each resistor in a series circuit. This can be useful in designing and analyzing circuits, as well as troubleshooting any issues with voltage distribution.

4. Can voltage division be used for parallel circuits?

No, voltage division can only be used for series circuits. In parallel circuits, the voltage is the same across each resistor, so there is no need for voltage division.

5. What are some applications of voltage division?

Voltage division is commonly used in electronic circuits, such as in voltage regulators, amplifiers, and filters. It is also used in electrical engineering for power distribution and in the design of electrical systems.