Understanding Voltage Drop in a Circuit

In summary: I will be careful in future and I will reply as you have explained. Thank you for your understanding and answer.
Lay1
Homework Statement
Refer to the figure. Assume the green LED drops 2V across it when it is on. The maximum current in the LED is to be set at 10mA and the minimum current is 2mA. Choose values for R1 and R2 to meet these requirements.
Relevant Equations
V=IR
Here is the figure mentioned above.
20230413_182850.jpg

My thinking is that for maximum current, resistance must be minimum. Thus, R1 is not considered which means the voltage drop of R2 is 10V. So, R2 is 1kohm. For minimum, I=2mA, so R1+R2=5kohm, since R2 is 1kohm, R1 must be 4kohm. This is how I deduce. However, the answer shows that R1=5kohm while R2 is 1kohm. I do not understand why it is so. Could someone help me explain why? Thank you as always.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lay1 said:
For minimum, I=2A, so R1+R2=5kohm, since R1 is 1kohm, R2 must be 4kohm. This is how I deduce.
Change the I=2A typo to I=2mA and I agree with you. I think the solution's answer for the minimum current case is incorrect.

Lay1 said:
Thus, R1 is not considered which means the voltage drop of R2 is 10V. So, R1 is 1kohm
R1 is not considered and R1 is 1kohm?

cnh1995 said:
Oh, good catch. Another typo! :smile: Yeah, we need the OP to add a reply with the R1/R2 stuff cleaned up.

berkeman said:
Change the I=2A typo to I=2mA and I agree with you. I think the solution's answer for the minimum current case is incorrect.
Thank you for your guidance. And also thank you for your confirmation.

cnh1995 said:
I am really sorry for my careless mistake. And thank your for your correction.

Lay1 said:
Thank you for your guidance. And also thank you for your confirmation.
Wait, did you see where there are other typos as well? Please reply with the correct values for R1 and R2, where R2 is the fixed resistance to define the maximum current, and R1 is the variable resistance to define the minimum current when added to R2.

berkeman said:
Oh, good catch. Another typo! :smile: Yeah, we need the OP to add a reply with the R1/R2 stuff cleaned up.
I have already fixed. Sorry for your inconvinience.

berkeman said:
Wait, did you see where there are other typos as well? Please reply with the correct values for R1 and R2, where R2 is the fixed resistance to define the maximum current, and R1 is the variable resistance to define the minimum current when added to R2.
My answer: R1=4kohms and R2=1kohm
The textbook answer: R1=5kohms and R2=1kohm

Lay1 said:
I have already fixed. Sorry for your inconvinience.
Oh, okay, I see that now. I still agree with the two values you calculated.

For future reference, it's usually best to add a reply to correct any typos that have been mentioned in your Original Post (OP). Otherwise the replies afterward that point out the typos can be confusing for others reading the thread later. It's okay to leave it as-is for now.

Likes DeBangis21
berkeman said:
Oh, okay, I see that now. I still agree with the two values you calculated.

For future reference, it's usually best to add a reply to correct any typos that have been mentioned in your Original Post (OP). Otherwise the replies afterward that point out the typos can be confusing for others reading the thread later. It's okay to leave it as-is for now.
I will be careful in future and I will reply as you have explained. Thank you for your understanding and answer.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman

1. What is voltage drop in a circuit?

Voltage drop in a circuit refers to the decrease in electrical potential energy as current flows through a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the components in the circuit and is measured in volts.

2. Why is understanding voltage drop important?

Understanding voltage drop is important because it helps ensure the proper functioning of electrical circuits. Excessive voltage drop can lead to inefficiencies and malfunctions in a circuit, which can cause damage to equipment and potentially create safety hazards.

3. What factors affect voltage drop in a circuit?

The main factors that affect voltage drop in a circuit are the resistance of the components in the circuit and the amount of current flowing through the circuit. Other factors, such as the length and type of wire used, can also contribute to voltage drop.

4. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the product of current and resistance. The formula for voltage drop is V = I x R, where V is voltage drop in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger wire sizes with lower resistance, minimizing the length of the wire, and using components with lower resistance. Additionally, proper circuit design and maintenance can help reduce voltage drop in a circuit.