Understanding why change in Kinetic Energy is 0

In summary, to find the minimum force required to move M2, the work-energy theorem can be used to determine the force needed to achieve the necessary compression in the spring, which corresponds to the minimum force required to move M2. This can be calculated by setting the change in kinetic energy of M1 to 0, as once the spring is compressed enough for M2 to move, no further compression is required.
Better WOrld

Homework Statement

Find the minimum force ##\displaystyle F## required to move ##\displaystyle M_2##.Details and Assumptions:
##\displaystyle M_1 = 3Kg##
##\displaystyle M_2 = 5Kg##
##\displaystyle \mu_1 = 0.4##
##\displaystyle \mu_2 = 0.6##
##\displaystyle g = 9.8m/s^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The solution suggested is as follows:

Let ##\displaystyle M_1## be displaced by a small distance ##\displaystyle x##

Using the Work energy theorem,
$$\displaystyle Fx - \mu_1M_1gx - \frac{1}{2}Kx^2 = \Delta K.E.$$

For the situation that ##\displaystyle M_2## just moves,
##\displaystyle \Delta K.E. _{M_1}= 0##

However, I cannot understand why the change in Kinetic Energy of M1 should be 0. How do we know that when M2 is just about to move, M1 will be at rest?

I've been troubled by this doubt for ages and would be really grateful if somebody would kindly explain the reason to me in detail. Many many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• f0747bb31f7334ba51191729bf5689f00b923dbd.jpg
    f0747bb31f7334ba51191729bf5689f00b923dbd.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
It is baffling to me why someone would invoke the work energy theorem here. It appears that the approach is to use spring energy computed by integrating Hooke's law (F=kx) over distance to obtain energy (E=1/2kx^2) and then to differentiate that (hence the "small distance x") to obtain force.

Why not do it the easy way and simply compute force from Hooke's law directly?

Edit: Never mind me. I see I've misunderstood the scenario. The optimal scheme involves getting M1 up to a decent speed.

jbriggs444 said:
It is baffling to me why someone would invoke the work energy theorem here. It appears that the approach is to use spring energy computed by integrating Hooke's law (F=kx) over distance to obtain energy (E=1/2kx^2) and then to differentiate that (hence the "small distance x") to obtain force.

Why not do it the easy way and simply compute force from Hooke's law directly?

Edit: Never mind me. I see I've misunderstood the scenario. The optimal scheme involves getting M1 up to a decent speed.

Sir, please could you explain why ##\Delta K=0##?

Better WOrld said:
Sir, please could you explain why ##\Delta K=0##?
To move M2 you require a certain force exerted by the spring. That corresponds to a certain compression of the spring. Once that compression is reached, M2 will move - you do not need any further compression. So you only need to move M1 far enough to achieve that compression.

haruspex said:
To move M2 you require a certain force exerted by the spring. That corresponds to a certain compression of the spring. Once that compression is reached, M2 will move - you do not need any further compression. So you only need to move M1 far enough to achieve that compression.
Thanks very much Sir. Sir. please could you help me with another question too?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ing-on-an-inclined-plane.833831/#post-5235629

1. What is Kinetic Energy and why is it important?

Kinetic Energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior and movement of objects.

2. Why does the change in Kinetic Energy sometimes equal 0?

The change in Kinetic Energy can equal 0 if the net force acting on the object is 0, meaning there is no acceleration and therefore no change in velocity.

3. How does the concept of inertia relate to the change in Kinetic Energy?

Inertia, the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, plays a role in the change in Kinetic Energy. If there is no net force acting on an object, its inertia will keep it in motion at a constant velocity, resulting in no change in Kinetic Energy.

4. Can the change in Kinetic Energy ever be negative?

Yes, the change in Kinetic Energy can be negative if the object's velocity decreases due to a net force acting in the opposite direction of its motion. This results in a decrease in the object's Kinetic Energy.

5. How does understanding the change in Kinetic Energy help us in real-world applications?

Understanding the change in Kinetic Energy can help us analyze and predict the behavior of objects in motion, which is essential in various fields such as engineering, physics, and transportation. It allows us to calculate the work done on an object and determine the efficiency of energy transfer in systems.