Uni course and Degrees confusion: BEng, BSc

In summary, the individual is currently in their last year of HND mechanical and has achieved 100% distinction in both that and their previous HNC in general engineering. They struggle with exams but excel in research. They are considering applying for a university course in September and have looked at various options, including top-up BSc in mechanical engineering, top-up Beng in mechanical design, and Beng in mechanical engineering. All of these courses are accredited by IET, IME, and the engineering council. The individual is unsure which route would be best for them, as they eventually want to pursue a master's or even a PhD/EngD. They are concerned about whether a BSc would be seen as inferior to a Beng, even if both
lee123456789
Hi
Im current in last year of HND mechanical (100% distinction so far) and have HNC in general engineering (100% distinction).
Im better at the research and piratical bad at exams (diffucult reading and writing and slow comperhention skills and expression using writting what i want to transgress).
I been looking at uni course to apply for in Sept.

Ive looked at course and unsure.
There are:
Top-up BSc mechanical engineering degrees
Top-up Beng mechanical design
Beng Mechanical engineering

They all are accerited by IET, IME & engineering council

I prob won't be able to get onto Meng

I know future i want to got for master (100%) maybe even to Phd/EngD
Question is i have no idea what best route be
Would BSc be looked upon badly compared to Beng?
Does it matter if both are accredited by same places and if going for MSc aswell?
Would one hinder me in the future (say if i wanted to go for Charter engineering status even with BSc + MSc)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are we supposed to guess what country this is?

lee123456789 said:
piratical bad at exams

Oops. Avast me hearty! Are we supposed to guess what country this is? Arrggh!

Uk and my spelling is piss poor.

1. What is the difference between a BEng and a BSc degree?

A BEng (Bachelor of Engineering) degree focuses on the practical application of engineering principles and is typically more hands-on and technical in nature. A BSc (Bachelor of Science) degree, on the other hand, is more theoretical and research-based, covering a broader range of scientific subjects.

2. Can I switch from a BEng to a BSc degree program?

It is possible to switch from a BEng to a BSc degree program, but it will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university. Some universities may allow you to transfer credits from your BEng program to a BSc program, while others may require you to start from the beginning. It is important to check with your university for their specific guidelines.

3. Which degree is better for a career in engineering?

Both a BEng and a BSc degree can lead to a successful career in engineering. It ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you prefer a more hands-on, practical approach, a BEng degree may be a better fit. If you are interested in research and a broader understanding of scientific principles, then a BSc degree may be a better choice.

4. Are there any differences in job opportunities between a BEng and a BSc degree?

In general, both degrees can lead to similar job opportunities in the field of engineering. However, some employers may have a preference for one degree over the other, depending on the specific job role. It is important to research the job market in your desired field to determine if one degree may be more advantageous than the other.

5. Can I pursue a postgraduate degree with a BEng or a BSc?

Yes, you can pursue a postgraduate degree with either a BEng or a BSc. Many universities offer postgraduate programs in both engineering and science fields, and your undergraduate degree will not limit your options. However, some postgraduate programs may have specific prerequisites, so it is important to check with the university for their requirements.