Uniform circular motion - finding velocity

In summary, the homework statement states that radial acceleration is equal to v^2/R, and the attempt at a solution calculates v as sqrt(Rg tanθ).
reminiscent

Homework Statement

klg2LjH.png

Homework Equations

radial acceleration = v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure if we have to mention the tension of the cable, but I'm guessing L2 will suffice? Correct me if I am wrong.
Anyways, I drew the diagram from a side view (kind of like a circular pendulum) but L1 and the angle is throwing me off. I also drew a free body diagram of the seat at the 3 o'clock position: Tcable (tension or L2?) point towards the center, Tz pointing north, Tr pointing left, and Fg downwards. In the z direction, I have Tz + Fg = 0, so Tcable = mg/cos(theta). In the radial direction, I have Tr = ma(radial) > Tsin(theta) = mv^2/L1(?) so far.
Help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
reminiscent said:
Tcable = mg/cos(theta). In the radial direction, I have Tr = ma(radial) > Tsin(theta) = mv^2/L1

OK for the tension in the cable. However, you do not have the correct radius of the circle that the rider is moving along.

TSny said:
OK for the tension in the cable. However, you do not have the correct radius of the circle that the rider is moving along.
Is it R = L1+L2x = L1 + L2sin(theta)?

reminiscent said:
Is it R = L1+L2x = L1 + L2sin(theta)?
Yes it is. :oldsmile:

TSny said:
Yes it is. :oldsmile:
Okay so after that part, I plugged in T (from the z direction) and R and I found v = sqrt( (L1+L2sin(theta))*g*tan(theta)). Does that sound about right? But the mass canceled out, how come in the problem they asked for the expression to contain the mass?

reminiscent said:
Okay so after that part, I plugged in T (from the z direction) and R and I found v = sqrt( (L1+L2sin(theta))*g*tan(theta)). Does that sound about right?
Yes.
But the mass canceled out, how come in the problem they asked for the expression to contain the mass?
I don't know. Maybe they didn't want to give away that the mass doesn't matter.

TSny said:
Yes.

I don't know. Maybe they didn't want to give away that the mass doesn't matter.
Okay thank you so much!

Yeah I didn't think we would need to consider the tangent acceleration in this case.

Right. There's no tangential acceleration in this case since the circular motion is "uniform".

Consider the forces on the rider: there are three.
1. g, acting downward; acceleration g = 9.8 m/s²
2. centifugal force (call it C), acting outward; accleration C = v²/R
3. The force on the cable (call it T), which MUST close the triangle at the hypotenuse, hence T = sqrt (g² + (v²/R)²)

Then θ = arctan (C/g)

Therefore θ = arctan ([v²/R]/g)
tanθ = (v²/R)/g
g tanθ = v²/R
v² = R g tanθ
v = sqrt ( R g tanθ)

Now all you have to do is express r in the terms of the problem (L1, L2, etc) and plug it in ... I think you can figure that out ...

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the magnitude of the velocity remains the same, but the direction of the velocity changes continuously.

2. How do you find the velocity of an object in uniform circular motion?

The velocity of an object in uniform circular motion can be found by dividing the circumference of the circle by the time it takes to complete one full revolution. This is also known as the angular velocity. Another way to find the velocity is by using the equation v = rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity in radians per second.

3. Can the velocity of an object in uniform circular motion change?

No, the velocity of an object in uniform circular motion does not change. This is because the object is moving at a constant speed and the direction of the velocity is always changing to keep the object moving in a circular path.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in uniform circular motion?

Speed in uniform circular motion refers to the magnitude of the velocity, or how fast the object is moving along the circular path. Velocity, on the other hand, refers to both the speed and direction of the object's motion. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, but the velocity changes due to the changing direction of motion.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to centripetal force?

Uniform circular motion is related to centripetal force because in order for an object to move in a circular path, there must be a force acting on the object towards the center of the circle. This force, known as the centripetal force, is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path and is directly related to the velocity and radius of the circle.