Uniform circular motion - simple problem

In summary, a girl is running around a circular fountain with a diameter of 6.5m. It takes her 72 seconds to run all the way around. The person attempting to solve the problem mistakenly used 1/72 as the time instead of 72 seconds and received an incorrect answer. The proper use of time would result in the correct answer. There was also a discussion about how to properly write pi.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A girl is running around a circular fountain with a diameter of 6.5m. If it takes her 72 seconds to run all the way around, what's her angular speed?

The Attempt at a Solution

I appear to be getting a wrong answer: (look only at the thick black marker)

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/548/radsec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time is 72 seconds not 1/72.

Thanks Doc :) My silly err. you're awesome!

Hi Femme_physics! :smile:

Why do you write π like that? :confused:

Shouldn't π have a hat to keep its legs cool? o:)

Heh, you're on to me tiny-tim ;) I don't know how to properly write pi! I'll work on that :-)

Related to Uniform circular motion - simple problem

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object is covering the same distance in the same amount of time throughout the entire motion.

2. How is uniform circular motion different from non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant while the direction changes. In non-uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is changing, either increasing or decreasing, as it moves along the circular path.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for constantly changing the direction of the object's motion.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

5. What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some examples of uniform circular motion include a car driving around a roundabout, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a pendulum swinging back and forth in a circular motion.