Uniform electric field. Find the potential difference

In summary, the problem involves two points (A and B) in a uniform electric field with a given magnitude. The question is asking for the potential difference between the two points, which is the energy required to move a charge from one point to the other. To solve this, one must understand the relationship between electric field and potential.
Bearbull24.5

Homework Statement

Point A (2,3)m and point B (5,7)m are in a region where electric field is uniform and given by E=(4i+3j)N/C. What is potential diff Va-Vb?

Homework Equations

Not a clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the (4i+3j) into magnitude and that is as far as I got. Not a clue what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
Bearbull24.5 said:

Homework Statement

Point A (2,3)m and point B (5,7)m are in a region where electric field is uniform and given by E=(4i+3j)N/C. What is potential diff Va-Vb?

Homework Equations

Not a clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the (4i+3j) into magnitude and that is as far as I got. Not a clue what to do next
How is the electric field related to the potential?

Isnt the potential the energy required to move a charge in an electric field?

Bearbull24.5 said:
Isnt the potential the energy required to move a charge in an electric field?
It is indeed. So how does that relate to your problem?

I would approach this problem by using the formula for potential difference, which is V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the two points. In this case, the distance between point A and point B is given as 3 meters in the x-direction and 4 meters in the y-direction. Therefore, the total distance between the two points is d = √(3^2+4^2) = √25 = 5 meters.

Next, I would plug in the given values for the electric field (E = 4i+3j N/C) and the distance (d = 5m) into the formula for potential difference. This gives us:

V = (4i+3j) x 5 = 20i + 15j V

Therefore, the potential difference between point A and point B is 20 volts in the x-direction and 15 volts in the y-direction. It is important to note that the potential difference is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In this case, the direction of the potential difference is in the same direction as the electric field, since the two points are in the same direction as the electric field.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this problem as a scientist. Remember to always use relevant equations and plug in the given values to find a solution.

Related to Uniform electric field. Find the potential difference

1. What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field where the strength and direction of the electric field remain constant throughout the entire region. This means that the electric field lines are evenly spaced and parallel to each other.

2. How is a uniform electric field created?

A uniform electric field can be created by placing two parallel plates with opposite charges (one positive and one negative) close together. This creates a constant electric field between the plates that is perpendicular to the plates.

3. What is potential difference in a uniform electric field?

Potential difference is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. In a uniform electric field, potential difference is directly proportional to the distance between the two points and the strength of the electric field.

4. How do you calculate potential difference in a uniform electric field?

The potential difference (ΔV) in a uniform electric field can be calculated using the equation ΔV = Ed, where E is the electric field strength and d is the distance between the two points.

5. What is the unit of potential difference in a uniform electric field?

The unit of potential difference in a uniform electric field is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).