Union of increasing sigma-algebras is not sigma-algebra

In summary, the problem is that the example given does not satisfy the requirement for a sigma algebra.
A.Magnus
I am working on a problem like this:

Suppose ##\mathscr A_1 \subset \mathscr A_2 \subset \ldots## are sigma-algebras consisting of subsets of a set ##X##. Give an example that ##\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} \mathscr A_i## is not sigma-algebra.

I was told to work along finite sigma-algebras on ##\mathbb N##, such that their union contains all singletons. For example, let ##F_n := \{\{1\},\{2\},…,\{n\}\}##, and then let ## \sigma (F_n)## be the sigma-algebra.

Here are what I got so far, making it as simple as possible to ##n = 2## only
(1) Let ##F_1 := \{1\}##, then ##\sigma(F_1) = \{ \emptyset, \{ 1\}, \{ 1\}^c, \mathbb N \}##
(2) Let ##F_2 := \{\{1\}, \{2\}\}##, then ##\sigma(F_2) = \{ \emptyset, \{ 1\}, \{ 1\}^c, \{ 2\}, \{ 2\}^c\ \{ 1, 2\}, \{ 1, 2\}^c ,\mathbb N \}##
(3) Here ##\sigma(F_1) \subset \sigma(F_2)##
(4) But here ##\sigma(F_1) \cup \sigma(F_2) = \sigma(F_2)##, which is a sigma-algebra. Therefore it looks like my example fails.

What was wrong with my analysis? If the above was hopelessly wrong, could you please give me another example? Thank you for your time and help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A.Magnus said:
I am working on a problem like this:

Suppose ##\mathscr A_1 \subset \mathscr A_2 \subset \ldots## are sigma-algebras consisting of subsets of a set ##X##. Give an example that ##\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} \mathscr A_i## is not sigma-algebra.

I was told to work along finite sigma-algebras on ##\mathbb N##, such that their union contains all singletons. For example, let ##F_n := \{\{1\},\{2\},…,\{n\}\}##, and then let ## \sigma (F_n)## be the sigma-algebra.

Unless the subset relation has a specialized meaning for sigma algebras, I think you are free to use different "whole spaces" for the different sigma algebras, as long as the "whole space" set for [itex] \mathscr A_i [/itex] is a subset of the sets in [itex] \mathscr A_{i+1} [/itex].

Pick a sequence of sigma algebras with finite "whole"spaces" You can form an infinite set by taking a countable union of sets from the finite sets.

Stephen Tashi said:
Unless the subset relation has a specialized meaning for sigma algebras, I think you are free to use different "whole spaces" for the different sigma algebras, as long as the "whole space" set for [itex] \mathscr A_i [/itex] is a subset of the sets in [itex] \mathscr A_{i+1} [/itex].

Pick a sequence of sigma algebras with finite "whole"spaces" You can form an infinite set by taking a countable union of sets from the finite sets.

I am sorry coming to you late. Let me take another look at the problem after your suggestion and get back with you. Thanks again.

1. What is a sigma-algebra?

A sigma-algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties, such as being closed under complementation and countable unions. It is commonly used in probability and measure theory to define measurable sets.

2. Why is the union of increasing sigma-algebras not always a sigma-algebra?

The union of increasing sigma-algebras may not always be a sigma-algebra because it may not satisfy the properties required for a sigma-algebra. For example, the union of increasing sigma-algebras may not be closed under countable unions, which is a fundamental property of a sigma-algebra.

3. Can you provide an example where the union of increasing sigma-algebras is not a sigma-algebra?

One example is the set of all intervals on the real line, where the union of increasing sigma-algebras is not a sigma-algebra because it does not include all possible subsets of the real line.

4. What are the implications of the union of increasing sigma-algebras not being a sigma-algebra?

If the union of increasing sigma-algebras is not a sigma-algebra, then it may not be possible to define a measure on the resulting collection of sets. This can limit the applicability of certain mathematical techniques and make it more difficult to analyze and solve problems.

5. Is there a way to ensure that the union of increasing sigma-algebras is a sigma-algebra?

Yes, the union of increasing sigma-algebras can be guaranteed to be a sigma-algebra if the collection of sigma-algebras is finite or if the sequence of sigma-algebras is eventually constant. In general, however, it is not always possible to ensure that the union of increasing sigma-algebras is a sigma-algebra.