Unique Eigenvector of a: Unveiling Coherent States

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of the coherent state as the eigenvalue of the complex number alpha in the context of the Heisenberg inequality. The plan is to solve the eigenvalue problem for the operator a and show that it leads to a differential equation similar to the one already derived for the Gaussian wave function.
naele

Homework Statement

Show that, for all complexe numbers [itex]\alpha, a[/itex] has a unique eigenvector [itex]|\alpha\rangle[/itex] that is nothing else but the coherent state
[tex]
\psi(x)=\frac{e^{-\frac{i}{2\hbar}\langle X\rangle\langle P\rangle}}{(\pi\ell^2)^{1/4}}e^{-\frac{(X-\langle X\rangle)^2}{2\ell^2}+\frac{i\langle P\rangle X}{\hbar}}
[/tex]
with
[tex]
\alpha=\langle a \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{\langle X\rangle}{\ell}+\frac{i\ell\langle P\rangle}{\hbar}\right)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
a=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{X}{\ell}+\frac{i\ell P}{\hbar}\right)
[/tex]
[tex] \ell=\sqrt{2}\Delta X[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I think I have a game plan. Since [itex]a[/itex] isn't Hermitian then its eigenvalues can be complex. So I should solve the eigenvalue problem for [itex]a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle[/itex]. But since I already showed that when the equality is valid in the Heisenberg inequality we get a gaussian like [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] so if I can show that the eigenvalue problem admits a differential equation similar to what I already showed then that should be sufficient?

Physics news on Phys.org

naele said:
Ok, so I think I have a game plan. Since [itex]a[/itex] isn't Hermitian then its eigenvalues can be complex. So I should solve the eigenvalue problem for [itex]a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle[/itex]. But since I already showed that when the equality is valid in the Heisenberg inequality we get a gaussian like [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] so if I can show that the eigenvalue problem admits a differential equation similar to what I already showed then that should be sufficient?

The equations for the inequality involve expectation values, so you can't really draw too many conclusions about phases from them. The eigenvalue equation can be written as a differential equation though, and solving it should be easy since you're given the form of the solution.

Related to Unique Eigenvector of a: Unveiling Coherent States

What is a unique eigenvector?

A unique eigenvector is a vector that remains in the same direction after being multiplied by a matrix. It is a special vector that represents the direction of the transformation of the matrix.

What is the significance of a unique eigenvector?

The unique eigenvector is significant because it reveals important information about the transformation of the matrix. It can be used to understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future state.

How is a unique eigenvector calculated?

A unique eigenvector is calculated by solving the characteristic equation of the matrix. This involves finding the eigenvalues and then using them to find the corresponding eigenvectors.

What are coherent states?

Coherent states are quantum states that exhibit properties of both classical and quantum systems. They are often used to describe the behavior of systems that are in a state of minimum uncertainty.

How do coherent states relate to unique eigenvectors?

Unique eigenvectors are often used to represent coherent states and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system. They can help to determine the possible states that the system can exist in and how it will evolve over time.