Uniqueness of identity element of addition

In summary, when proving the uniqueness of the identity element of addition in a vector space, it is important to be explicit in the use of properties such as associativity and commutativity. Additionally, one cannot assume the uniqueness of the identity element when trying to prove its uniqueness. A more elegant proof for part (a) would be to consider 0' + 0* and use the fact that both are additive identities. Part (b) can be seen as a proof for the uniqueness of the additive inverse.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Here, V is a vector space.
a) Show that identity element of addition is unique.
b) If v, w and 0 belong to V and v + w = 0, then w = -v

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
If u, 0', 0* belong to V, then
u + 0' = u
u + 0* = u
Adding the additive inverse on both sides of the equations:

0' = u -u
0* = u - u

So, 0' = 0*. Therefore, the identity element of addition is unique.

b) If v, w and 0 belong to V and v + w = 0, then w = -v

v + w + (-v) = 0 + (-v)
w + 0 = 0 + (-v)
w = -v

Is that correct? Because I often see the procedure is more complex.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
That 's all OK. The only reservation I have is that you have used the associativity and commutativity of addition in a vector space to move things around and get them to cancel. For instance to get from #v+w+(-v)## to ##w+0## requires one use of the commutative law and one of the associative law. Normally one would do this without bothering to point it out but, since the problem is concerned with the most basic, fundamental algebraic properties of a vector space, your lecturer may expect you to be explicit about things like that.

This:
a)
If u, 0', 0* belong to V, then
u + 0' = u
u + 0* = u
Adding the additive inverse on both sides of the equations:

0' = u -u
0* = u - u

So, 0' = 0*. Therefore, the identity element of addition is unique.
Assumes the additive inverse is also unique. If you are not assuming the additive identity is unique, why should you assume additive inverses are unique? Instead of u+ 0' and u+ 0*, look at 0'+ 0*, first using the fact that 0' is an additive identity, then using the fact that 0* is an additive identity.

HallsofIvy said:
Assumes the additive inverse is also unique.
I think it's only the use of the word 'the' that implies uniqueness (probably inadvertently) and, as far as I can see, that is not used in the proof. ie if the wording is changed from 'Adding the additive inverse' to 'Adding an additive inverse -u of u' then I think the proof still works.

Also, I see (b) as essentially a proof of the uniqueness of the additive inverse.

andrewkirk said:
That 's all OK. The only reservation I have is that you have used the associativity and commutativity of addition in a vector space to move things around and get them to cancel. For instance to get from #v+w+(-v)## to ##w+0## requires one use of the commutative law and one of the associative law. Normally one would do this without bothering to point it out but, since the problem is concerned with the most basic, fundamental algebraic properties of a vector space, your lecturer may expect you to be explicit about things like that.
That makes sense. So I must be explicit in the use of the properties. Thank you

HallsofIvy said:
This:

Assumes the additive inverse is also unique. If you are not assuming the additive identity is unique, why should you assume additive inverses are unique? Instead of u+ 0' and u+ 0*, look at 0'+ 0*, first using the fact that 0' is an additive identity, then using the fact that 0* is an additive identity.

That's what confuses me. I tought since the problem states that we're going to find the unicity of the identity element of addition, we could use all the rest of the properties without questioning its unicity.

Since 0' + 0* = 0´ and 0* + 0' = 0* then 0* = 0'. Is that correct?

supermiedos said:
That's what confuses me. I tought since the problem states that we're going to find the unicity of the identity element of addition, we could use all the rest of the properties without questioning its unicity.
You can't assume the identity is unique when trying to prove the identity is unique. That's begging the question.

supermiedos said:
Since 0' + 0* = 0´ and 0* + 0' = 0* then 0* = 0'. Is that correct?
Your original proof was valid provided you replaces 'the additive inverse' by 'an additive inverse'. But what you've written here, based on HoI's suggestion, is more elegant.

Thank you so much for your replies. I understand now :)

1. What is the identity element of addition?

The identity element of addition is the number that, when added to any other number, results in that number. In other words, it is the number that leaves any number unchanged when added to it. This element is often represented by 0.

2. Why is the identity element of addition important in mathematics?

The identity element of addition is important because it helps maintain the consistency and accuracy of mathematical operations. It serves as a starting point for addition and allows us to easily identify and solve equations.

3. Is the identity element of addition the same for all number systems?

No, the identity element of addition can vary depending on the number system being used. For example, in the real numbers, the identity element is 0, but in modular arithmetic, it can be a different number depending on the modulus chosen.

4. Can the identity element of addition be negative?

Yes, the identity element of addition can be negative. In fact, in some number systems, such as the integers, the identity element is a negative number (-1 in this case) since adding it to any other number results in that number's additive inverse.

5. What is the relationship between the identity element of addition and the identity element of multiplication?

There is no direct relationship between the identity element of addition and the identity element of multiplication. However, both are essential elements in their respective operations and serve as the starting point for solving equations in those operations.