Unit Conversion: Solving for Speed of Water Flow

• Thread starter smray7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of unit conversions and how they apply to equations. The specific problem being discussed involves determining the pressure on wing two of an airplane given its mass, the area of two wings, and the pressure on one wing. The conversation also touches on the importance of checking algebra and units in order to ensure the accuracy of the solution.
smray7

Homework Statement

water flows into a tube with a diameter of 6.35 cm at 0.012 meters cubed per sec.
it exits the nozzle with a diameter of 2.2cm at what speed?

Homework Equations

a = pi r squared

A1V1 = A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is should i convert the cm to meters?
how do you know when to do unit conversions?

Physics news on Phys.org
smray7 said:

Homework Statement

water flows into a tube with a diameter of 6.35 cm at 0.012 meters cubed per sec.
it exits the nozzle with a diameter of 2.2cm at what speed?

Homework Equations

a = pi r squared

A1V1 = A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is should i convert the cm to meters?
how do you know when to do unit conversions?

In this case it will not matter. In general, an equation is only correct if the units are the same on both sides of the equality sign.

If you use area A1 in cm2 and velocity in m/s, the left hand side will have units of cm2 m/s. This will be equivalent to the right hand side if you also use cm2 for A2.

Another way to think about it is if you rearrange the continuity equation you get:

[tex]\frac{A_1}{A_2} = \frac{V_2}{V_1}[/tex]

i.e. the ratio of outlet velocity to inlet velocity is equal to the ratio of inlet area to outlet area. Since we are talking about a ratio of areas, it really does not matter what the units are, as long as they are the same.

ok thanks, that's clears things a little. on another problem i have to determine the pressure on wing two.

airplane mass: 1.60 x 10^4
wing one area : 40m^2
wing two area : 40m^2
pressure on wing one : 7.00 x 10^4
pressure on wing 2: ?

F= PA
mg = P1A1 + P2A2
mg = A(P1 + P2)

mg -P1
_______ = P2
A

so anyhow i have some number and the unit as:

(#kg)(#m/s) - (#Pa)

i know pressure is measured in Pascals, but when all is said and done, none of the units cancel. does that matter?

Recheck your algebra and your unit for g... the units work out fine.

You will get X pascals = P2

As a scientist, it is important to pay attention to units in any calculation or problem. In this case, since the given diameter is in centimeters, it would be helpful to convert it to meters to maintain consistency in units. This will also make it easier to use the equation A1V1 = A2V2, where A represents the cross-sectional area and V represents the velocity. In general, it is important to do unit conversions when the given data or equation requires it, or when it helps to simplify the problem. It is always a good practice to double check units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

1. What is unit conversion and why is it important in solving for speed of water flow?

Unit conversion is the process of changing a quantity from one unit to another. In the context of solving for speed of water flow, unit conversion is important because different units are used to measure the speed of water flow, such as meters per second, feet per second, and miles per hour. In order to accurately calculate and compare the speed of water flow, it is necessary to convert the units to a common unit of measurement.

2. How do I convert units when solving for speed of water flow?

To convert units, you will need to use conversion factors, which are numbers that represent the relationship between two different units. For example, to convert from meters per second to feet per second, you would multiply the number of meters per second by 3.28. It is important to keep track of the units and use the correct conversion factor for the specific units being converted.

3. What is the formula for calculating speed of water flow?

The formula for calculating speed of water flow is speed = distance/time. In the context of unit conversion, distance and time must be in the same units in order to get an accurate result. For example, if distance is measured in feet and time is measured in seconds, the speed will be in feet per second.

4. How do I know which units to use for speed of water flow?

The units used for speed of water flow will depend on the specific situation and what is being measured. For example, if you are measuring the speed of water flowing through a pipe, you may use meters per second or feet per second. If you are measuring the speed of a river, you may use miles per hour. It is important to use the appropriate units for the specific situation in order to accurately measure and compare the speed of water flow.

5. How can I check if my unit conversion for speed of water flow is correct?

One way to check if your unit conversion for speed of water flow is correct is to use a conversion calculator or online tool. These tools can help you double check your calculations and ensure that you have used the correct conversion factors. Another way to check is to convert back to the original units and see if you get the same result. If you do, then your conversion is likely correct.