Unit Conversion W➝J: Break-Even in 50 Years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effective power generation of a plant and the amount of energy required to create it. The break-even point is calculated and results in a time frame of almost 50 years. A typo is noted in the problem statement and the conclusion is that there is no point in investing in the power station. The title of the thread is also mentioned as being unrelated to the actual problem.
JJ91

Homework Statement

Effective Power generation of the plant is 5.43*[itex]10^{7}[/itex]W but it will required 9*[itex]10^{16}[/itex]J to be created.

Essentially the break-even will after solving equation Energy required/Power Generated however I get results of almost 50 years. Would this be correct?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9E16+Joules+/+5.34E7+Watts

Physics news on Phys.org
In your problem statement you say the Effective Power is 5.43 x 107 W, but on the web page calculation you used 5.34 x 107 W. A typo no doubt. But yes, the result can be expected to be in the neighborhood of 50 years.

JJ91 said:
Essentially the break-even will after solving equation Energy required/Power Generated however I get results of almost 50 years. Would this be correct?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=9E16+Joules+/+5.34E7+Watts
Sans the typo gneill noted, this is correct.

Your link stops for me at 1.685×109 J/W. (Perhaps I've overused wolfram alpha?) Sometimes it helps have to cajole wolfram alpha to that it will take the answer a step further.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=convert+9E16+Joules+/+5.34E7+Watts+to+years

The conclusion is simple. There is no point to invest a broken penny into this power station.

JJ91 said:
The conclusion is simple. There is no point to invest a broken penny into this power station.

:confused: Huh? Did you fail to properly state the problem? What is the criterion for your conclusion?

I don't like the title of that thread. That problem has nothing to do with unit conversion.

Related to Unit Conversion W➝J: Break-Even in 50 Years?

1. How do I convert units from watts to joules?

To convert from watts (W) to joules (J), you can use the formula J = W x t, where J is energy in joules, W is power in watts, and t is time in seconds.

2. What is the significance of a break-even point in 50 years?

A break-even point in 50 years means that it will take 50 years for the energy produced to equal the amount of energy used in the conversion process. It is an important milestone in determining the efficiency and sustainability of a conversion process.

3. How can I calculate the break-even point in 50 years?

The break-even point in 50 years can be calculated by dividing the total amount of energy used in the conversion process by the annual energy output. The result will be the number of years needed to reach the break-even point.

4. What factors can affect the break-even point in 50 years?

The break-even point in 50 years can be affected by various factors such as the efficiency of the conversion process, the cost of energy sources, and the rate of energy consumption. Changes in any of these factors can impact the time needed to reach the break-even point.

5. How can we improve the break-even point in 50 years?

The break-even point in 50 years can be improved by increasing the efficiency of the conversion process, using more sustainable and cost-effective energy sources, and reducing energy consumption. Ongoing research and development in these areas can help to improve the break-even point in the future.