Unit vector notation, why use 3 letters for a component?

In summary: Phinix ! In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the term "vxi" in equations involving vectors. It explains that "vxi" is not redundant, as it represents a vector in the x direction of a specific size. The use of "i" as a label is for convenience. The conversation also brings up the use of triple letters, such as "Vxi + Vyj," which may seem redundant but is actually a representation of component vectors in the x and y directions. The use of boldface type or unit vector notation is often used to denote the vector nature of these symbols.
lboulden
Homework Statement
I understand basic components of a vector in the x and y directions. I can also understand replacing the x with i, and replacing y with j. What I do not understand is why I would use them together as Vxi + Vyj. This seems redundant. Could someone help explain why or when using triple letters would be better than using two ?
Relevant Equations
V= Vxi + Vyj.

Physics news on Phys.org
The term vxi is not redundant. It is not the same as vx alone nor i alone. It describes a vector in a known direction (the x direction) of a particular size. The fact that we choose to label the variable with x is for convenience. While in that equation it may seem redundant, we may wish to write it down sometimes not next to i .
For instance what if I ask for the magnitude of the vector
V= Vxi + Vyj
During the calculation the init vectors go away and yet the label remains.

lboulden said:
Homework Statement: I understand basic components of a vector in the x and y directions. I can also understand replacing the x with i, and replacing y with j. What I do not understand is why I would use them together as Vxi + Vyj. This seems redundant. Could someone help explain why or when using triple letters would be better than using two ?
Homework Equations: V= Vxi + Vyj.
For one thing, some of those symbols are typically subscripts, for a 2nd thing, some of those symbols will usually be type set in boldface (or written with a harpoon or caret hovering above) to indicate their vector nature. I'll use boldface type for most of the following.

V = Vx + Vy : Here Vx and Vy are component vectors of vector V.

V= Vx i + Vy j : Here Vx and Vy are the components (as scalars) of vector V in the x and y directions respectively. The i and j are each unit vectors in the x and y directions respectively.

Notice that textbooks often denote a unit vector with a caret above as in the following.

##\displaystyle \vec {~V} = V_{x~}\!\hat{\imath} + V_{y~}\!\hat{\jmath} ##​

Added in Edit :
Oh! Sorry I didn't notice, but
:welcome:

Last edited:

1. What is unit vector notation?

Unit vector notation is a mathematical representation of a vector that specifies its magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement and forces of objects.

2. Why is unit vector notation important?

Unit vector notation is important because it allows for a concise and consistent way to represent vectors. It also simplifies vector calculations and makes it easier to visualize and understand vector quantities.

3. Why are 3 letters used for each component in unit vector notation?

Three letters are used for each component in unit vector notation because it follows the convention of using three-dimensional Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to describe the position and movement of objects in space. Each letter represents a specific axis or direction.

4. How is unit vector notation used in real-life applications?

Unit vector notation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in navigation systems, computer graphics, and physics simulations. It is also commonly used in engineering and construction to determine forces and stresses on structures.

5. Is unit vector notation used in other coordinate systems?

Yes, unit vector notation can be used in other coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. In these systems, the unit vectors are defined in terms of the angle, rather than the x, y, z axes.