Unit vector tangent to the surface

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find a unit vector n that is both tangent to the surface of constant ø and normal to the vector b. The user has calculated ∇ø and is unsure of the next step. The solution is to either use the dot product or cross product of ∇ø and b to find the desired unit vector.
katielouise
I have the following question:

Given that ø = (x^2)y + cos(z) find the unit vector n which is both tangent to the surface of constant ø at (1,1,∏/2) and normal to the vector b = x + y - 2z (where x y and z are the unit vectors)

I have calculated ∇ø = 2x + y - z (again where x y and z are the unit vectors)

but I am unsure what to do next.

If I want the unit vector tangent to this surface then its gradient has to be the same as what I calculated above? And if its normal to b then n dotted with b has to = 0? Just don't know how to use this information or anything else to actually calculate the unit vector n.

Physics news on Phys.org
katielouise said:
I have the following question:

Given that ø = (x^2)y + cos(z) find the unit vector n which is both tangent to the surface of constant ø at (1,1,∏/2) and normal to the vector b = x + y - 2z (where x y and z are the unit vectors)

I have calculated ∇ø = 2x + y - z (again where x y and z are the unit vectors)

If I want the unit vector tangent to this surface then its gradient has to be the same as what I calculated above? And if its normal to b then n dotted with b has to = 0? Just don't know how to use this information or anything else to actually calculate the unit vector n.

If you call the vector you are looking for ##a=a_x \hat x + a_y \hat y + a_z \hat z##, then ##a \cdot b=0## and ##a \cdot n=0##, write down those equations and see what they tell you about the components of a.

katielouise said:
You could follow Dick's advice. Alternatively, you could use some other operation on a pair of vectors that yields a vector that is normal to both.

D H said:
You could follow Dick's advice. Alternatively, you could use some other operation on a pair of vectors that yields a vector that is normal to both.

Sorry, I'm still a bit confused. I want a vector that is normal to b but tangent to ∇ø, not normal to both?

You don't want a vector tangent to ∇ø. The gradient ∇ø points in the direction along which ø(x,y,z) changes the fastest. That is not along a tangent to the surface of constant ø. The gradient normal to this level surface.

D H said:
You don't want a vector tangent to ∇ø. The gradient ∇ø points in the direction along which ø(x,y,z) changes the fastest. That is not along a tangent to the surface of constant ø. The gradient normal to this level surface.

oh yeah of course! So i do the cross product of ∇ø and b? The vector I get as a result of that, will I then have to divide it by its magnitude to make it into the unit vector?

Yes. You'll get the same vector (possibly multiplied by -1) with Dick's method.

thanks for your help :)

What is a unit vector tangent to the surface?

A unit vector tangent to a surface is a vector that lies in the tangent plane of the surface at a given point and has a magnitude of 1. It is perpendicular to the normal vector of the surface at that point.

How is a unit vector tangent to the surface calculated?

A unit vector tangent to the surface can be calculated by taking the cross product of two tangent vectors on the surface and then normalizing the resulting vector to have a magnitude of 1.

Why is a unit vector tangent to the surface important?

A unit vector tangent to the surface is important because it represents the direction in which the surface is changing the fastest at a given point. This information is useful in many applications, such as calculating surface normals and determining the direction of maximum curvature.

Can a unit vector tangent to the surface change at different points?

Yes, the unit vector tangent to the surface can change at different points on the surface. This is because the tangent plane and normal vector of the surface can vary at different points, resulting in a different unit vector tangent to the surface.

How is a unit vector tangent to the surface used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, a unit vector tangent to the surface is used in many applications such as calculating surface forces, determining the direction of motion of a particle on the surface, and finding the direction of maximum stress on a surface.