Unitary and self-adjoint operators

• Thread starter the_kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary: The ladder operator method is a method for finding a unitary matrix that is not self-adjoint, by starting with an Hermitian matrix and laddering up to a non-Hermitian matrix.
the_kid

Homework Statement

Let U and A be two linear maps related by U=e^iA. Show that U is unitary if A is self-adjoint. Give a counterexample to show that U can be unitary if A is not self-adjoint.

Homework Equations

Self-adjoint: A*=A

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so I had no problem with the first part. It's easy to show that U dagger=U inverse. However, I'm having some trouble coming up with a counter example for the second part. I tried something anti-Hermitian, but that just shows that U is self-adjoint, not that it is unitary.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write out what it means that [itex]UU^*=I=U^*U[/itex]. What could go wrong?

Wait. What do you mean "what could go wrong"? I need to show that U can be unitary even if A isn't self-adjoint by way of an example.

the_kid said:
Wait. What do you mean "what could go wrong"? I need to show that U can be unitary even if A isn't self-adjoint by way of an example.

I didn't phrase that the best way as I could.

So, indeed, you need to find a non-self-adjoint matrix A such that [itex]U=e^{iA}[/itex] is unitary. So, assume that U is unitary, then [itex]UU^*=I=U^*U[/itex]. What does that mean for A??

micromass said:
I didn't phrase that the best way as I could.

So, indeed, you need to find a non-self-adjoint matrix A such that [itex]U=e^{iA}[/itex] is unitary. So, assume that U is unitary, then [itex]UU^*=I=U^*U[/itex]. What does that mean for A??

[itex]UU^*=(e^{iA})(e^{iA})^+=(e^{iA})^+(e^{iA})=U^*U[/itex]

I feel like this is really simple; I wonder why I'm not seeing it.

the_kid said:
[itex]UU^*=(e^{iA})(e^{iA})^+=(e^{iA})^+(e^{iA})=U^*U[/itex]

I feel like this is really simple; I wonder why I'm not seeing it.

OK, so you want [itex]UU^*=I=UU^*[/itex]. You indeed say that this is the same as

[tex](e^{iA})(e^{iA})^+=I=(e^{iA})^+(e^{iA})[/tex]

Now, do you know what [itex](e^{iA})^+[/itex] is?? Can you write it in another way??

micromass said:
OK, so you want [itex]UU^*=I=UU^*[/itex]. You indeed say that this is the same as

[tex](e^{iA})(e^{iA})^+=I=(e^{iA})^+(e^{iA})[/tex]

Now, do you know what [itex](e^{iA})^+[/itex] is?? Can you write it in another way??

[itex](e^{iA})^+=e^{-iA^+}[/itex]

OK, so now you have

[tex]e^{iA}e^{-iA^+}=I=e^{-iA^+}e^{iA}[/tex]

Now, what happens if you use [itex]e^{A+B}=e^A e^B[/itex]?? (I know the rule isn't always valid for matrices, but let's assume [itex]AA^+=A^+A[/itex], in that case the rule is valid).

micromass said:
OK, so now you have

[tex]e^{iA}e^{-iA^+}=I=e^{-iA^+}e^{iA}[/tex]

Now, what happens if you use [itex]e^{A+B}=e^A e^B[/itex]?? (I know the rule isn't always valid for matrices, but let's assume [itex]AA^+=A^+A[/itex], in that case the rule is valid).

You get [tex]e^{i(-A^++A)}=I=e^{i(A-A^+)}[/tex].

OK, so what did we find now? We found out that if A isn't self-adjoint, then there are two ways that [itex]e^{iA}[/itex] could still be unitary.

Either, [itex]B=A+A^+[/itex] is a matrix such that [itex]e^{iB}=I[/itex].
Or [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

One of those two things must hold for A.

Let's focus on the second one, can you find a matrix such that [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

micromass said:
OK, so what did we find now? We found out that if A isn't self-adjoint, then there are two ways that [itex]e^{iA}[/itex] could still be unitary.

Either, [itex]B=A+A^+[/itex] is a matrix such that [itex]e^{iB}=I[/itex].
Or [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

One of those two things must hold for A.

Let's focus on the second one, can you find a matrix such that [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

I think I can come up with a matrix, but can't we just treat these as operators, too? How about the ladder operator in QM. It is non-Hermitian; i.e. [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

the_kid said:
I think I can come up with a matrix, but can't we just treat these as operators, too? How about the ladder operator in QM. It is non-Hermitian; i.e. [itex]AA^+\neq A^+A[/itex].

The condition [itex]AA^+=A^+A[/itex] is known as "normal".
But anyway, what do you mean with the ladder operator??
Matrices are fine examples of operators. Matrices are exactly the operators on a finite dimensional space. So any counterexamples you find as matrices will be a counterexample of operators.

micromass said:
The condition [itex]AA^+=A^+A[/itex] is known as "normal".
But anyway, what do you mean with the ladder operator??
Matrices are fine examples of operators. Matrices are exactly the operators on a finite dimensional space. So any counterexamples you find as matrices will be a counterexample of operators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator#Ladder_operator_method

I am terrible at Latex, so I'm just linking to Wikipedia. I think this makes sense, right?

the_kid said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_harmonic_oscillator#Ladder_operator_method

I am terrible at Latex, so I'm just linking to Wikipedia. I think this makes sense, right?

Oh, those. I call them shift operators :smile:

Anyway, maybe those ladder operators work, but for that you got to calculate [itex]e^{iA}[/itex] and that seems a little tedious.
The easiest calculations are, in my opinion, with matrices.

micromass said:
Oh, those. I call them shift operators :smile:

Anyway, maybe those ladder operators work, but for that you got to calculate [itex]e^{iA}[/itex] and that seems a little tedious.
The easiest calculations are, in my opinion, with matrices.

OK, how about let A=({2,3}, {-2,1})? I think that works.

the_kid said:
OK, how about let A=({2,3}, {-2,1})? I think that works.

OK, but the calculations are a bit annoying. Can't we find a matrix whose exponential can easily be calculated? For example, try a nilpotent matrix.

micromass said:
OK, but the calculations are a bit annoying. Can't we find a matrix whose exponential can easily be calculated? For example, try a nilpotent matrix.

OK, how about ({0,1}, {0,0})?

the_kid said:
OK, how about ({0,1}, {0,0})?

Yes, try that one! What do you get?

micromass said:
Yes, try that one! What do you get?

You get A dagger does not commute with A, as we wanted. What else do I need to show?

What do I need to show from there?

Related to Unitary and self-adjoint operators

1. What is the difference between a unitary and a self-adjoint operator?

A unitary operator is a linear transformation on a complex vector space that preserves the inner product, meaning that the length and angle between vectors are preserved. A self-adjoint operator, on the other hand, is a linear operator that is its own adjoint, meaning that it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. In other words, a self-adjoint operator is symmetric with respect to its inner product, while a unitary operator is a type of isometry.

2. Are all unitary operators also self-adjoint?

No, not all unitary operators are self-adjoint. While all self-adjoint operators are unitary, the converse is not always true. A unitary operator only needs to preserve the inner product, while a self-adjoint operator must also be its own adjoint. However, there are cases where a unitary operator can also be self-adjoint, such as when the operator is Hermitian.

3. How are unitary and self-adjoint operators used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitary operators are used to represent time evolution of quantum states, while self-adjoint operators are used to represent physical observables such as position and momentum. Unitary operators ensure that the total probability of a quantum system remains constant over time, while self-adjoint operators ensure that the expectation values of physical observables are real.

4. Can a unitary operator be diagonal?

Yes, a unitary operator can be diagonal. A diagonal matrix is one that has zeros in all entries except the main diagonal. A unitary operator can be diagonalized using a unitary matrix, resulting in a diagonal matrix with complex entries on the main diagonal. This is known as the spectral theorem for unitary operators.

5. How are unitary and self-adjoint operators related to Hermitian operators?

A Hermitian operator is a self-adjoint operator that is also a normal operator, meaning that it commutes with its adjoint. Both unitary and self-adjoint operators are special cases of Hermitian operators. Unitary operators are a subset of Hermitian operators, while self-adjoint operators are a subset of both unitary and Hermitian operators.