Units of trigonometric functions?

In summary, trigonometric functions do not have units since they are ratios or percentages that are dimensionless.
John Greger
TL;DR Summary
If I take say Sin(0.5), what would the units of the output be?
What are the units of the trigonometric functions sinus, cosinus etc? If I take say Sin(0.5), what would the units of the output be?

Physics news on Phys.org
John Greger said:
Summary:: If I take say Sin(0.5), what would the units of the output be?

What are the units of the trigonometric functions sinus, cosinus etc? If I take say Sin(0.5), what would the units of the output be?
Why do you think they have any units?

Likes vanhees71
If I have a right angled triangle, what is ##\sin## of one angle in terms of the side lengths? What are the units of that expression?

Likes vanhees71, etotheipi and Dale
In addition to @Ibix's argument, the other common argument comes from looking at the series expansions, e.g. for ##\sin{x}##,$$\sin{x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} u_n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n+1}}{(2n+1)!}$$Take any two terms ##u_a## and ##u_b## where ##a \neq b##, then for dimensional homogeneity you require that ##[x]^{2a+1} = [x]^{2b+1}## but this is only satisfied when ##[x] = 1##.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
John Greger said:
Summary:: If I take say Sin(0.5), what would the units of the output be?

You could consider sines and cosines as percentages or ratios.
It is a comparison between the legths of one side and the hypotenuse.
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage

"A percentage is a dimensionless number (pure number); it has no unit of measurement."

Lnewqban said:
You could consider sines and cosines as percentages or ratios.
It is a comparison between the legths of one side and the hypotenuse.
Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentage

"A percentage is a dimensionless number (pure number); it has no unit of measurement."
Comparing trigonometric functions to percentage might be quite misleading, imho. And not applicable to tangent.

lomidrevo said:
not applicable to tangent.

Yes, it is: the tangent is the ratio of the lengths of the two legs (opposite to adjacent).

Likes vanhees71 and Lnewqban
No issue with ratios, in my post I was referring to percentage only. Let me explain more particularly what I meant ..

Tangent returns any value from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##, its codomain is any real number. Although you can define a mapping between real numbers and the typical interval of percentage from 0.0% to 100.0%, I don't see any added value by doing so. I admit, "not applicable" is not the best word I could have used.
For sine and cosine, the analogy with percentage makes little bit more sense, as their return real numbers between -1.0 and 1.0, but I would need to use negative percentage, ie. interval -100.0% to 100.0%.

I realize that theoretically the percentage can take any real number, but typically one think of it as a number between 0% and 100%. That is why I said it might be misleading. Personally I found this kind of analogies more confusing than clarifying.

Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis

1. What are the commonly used units for measuring angles in trigonometry?

The most commonly used units for measuring angles in trigonometry are degrees and radians. Degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts, while radians are based on dividing a circle into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts.

2. How do I convert between degrees and radians?

To convert from degrees to radians, multiply the degree measure by π/180. To convert from radians to degrees, multiply the radian measure by 180/π.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it used in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It is used in trigonometry to represent the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, as the coordinates of a point on the unit circle correspond to the sine and cosine values for that angle.

4. Are there other units for measuring angles besides degrees and radians?

Yes, there are other units for measuring angles such as gradians (also known as gons or grads) and turns. Gradians divide a circle into 400 equal parts, while turns divide a circle into 1 equal part.

5. How are trigonometric functions used to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. They can be used to calculate the height of a building, the distance between two points, and the trajectory of a projectile, among other applications.