Universities with PHD programs in Quantum Information Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to finish their Master studies in theoretical physics and pursue a PhD in Quantum Information. They are specifically interested in universities in the UK, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. The conversation also mentions the process of applying directly to a specific professor for a PhD position and suggests researching smaller universities in addition to well-known ones. The conversation ends with a mention of searching for "quantum computation" groups and provides links to some examples.
Qubix
I will finish my Master studies in theoretical physics next year, and I want to do a PHD in Quantum Information (my main interest). I want to apply to universities in the UK and Germany (right now I restrict myself to these two countries). What are the universities you know of, that have Quantum Information projects for graduate students?

I'll use this thread as a complementary source of info to my own internet search. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider Germany, then you should definitely include Austria and Switzerland as well. There's no big difference between these countries.
And they all go by the same system: As a PhD student, you're working for a specific professor and you'll have to apply directly to him, and not to the university itself. It's like a normal job.
There are dozens of possibilities, most universities have someone working on QI. So the best way to find a professor would probably be to look at research papers and find out who's working on things you're interested in.

As a starting point I think that at places like
TU Munich, FU Berlin, Uni of Vienna, IQOQI Innsbruck, University of Geneva etc.
there are some people who are quite well-known in this field. But you should also look into 'smaller' places, like TU Braunschweig and so on.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll clearly go for all three of these countries. :)

I've never heard of "quantum information". I'm familiar with quantum computing, though.

1. What is Quantum Information Theory?

Quantum Information Theory is a branch of quantum physics that studies the transmission, processing, and storage of information in quantum systems. It combines concepts from quantum mechanics, computer science, and mathematics to explore the fundamental limits and possibilities of information processing in the quantum realm.

2. What universities offer PhD programs in Quantum Information Theory?

Some universities that offer PhD programs in Quantum Information Theory include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley, University of Waterloo, University of Maryland, and University of Oxford.

3. What are the prerequisites for a PhD program in Quantum Information Theory?

Prerequisites may vary depending on the university, but typically a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science is required. Some universities may also require prior coursework in quantum mechanics and information theory. Strong research and analytical skills are also important for success in a PhD program in this field.

4. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a PhD in Quantum Information Theory?

Graduates with a PhD in Quantum Information Theory can pursue careers in academia, research and development, and technology industries. They may also work in government agencies or consulting firms, applying their knowledge and skills to solve complex problems in various fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and communications.

5. What research areas are currently being explored in Quantum Information Theory?

Some current research areas in Quantum Information Theory include quantum algorithms, quantum error correction, quantum cryptography, quantum communication and networking, and quantum machine learning. Researchers are also exploring applications of quantum information theory in fields such as quantum biology, quantum finance, and quantum sensing.