University recommendation in California for online BS math degree

In summary, the OP is seeking advice on which universities in California he should apply to for a fully online BS in Mathematics degree program starting in the fall of 2023. He has applied to 8 universities, but is unsure which ones would be best for him. He is also struggling with the possibility that he will not be able to afford the tuition at any of the universities.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
[deleted]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
@benorin , this is the kind of question that you should have posed long before the FAFSA deadline.

For starters, you do not state which universities within California you have applied to. How can strangers like us, who do not know you, provide any advice to you with so little information?

If I were you, I would call each of the universities that you have applied to and ask about the requirements you are looking for (offering fully online BS in math, accept transfer colleges from community college and UCSB from 15 years ago, etc.).

Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
You might also want to try posting on College Confidential.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Alas, the 16 hour deadline has passed.

So now onto a discussion of how to build a time machine.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
I'm thinking that it's time for the recriminations to start. "If it weren't for PF, I'd be going to college!"

Likes Bystander
in fact i think statguy gave an excellent, and timely, answer to an almost impossibly hopeless question. i'm certainly not laughing, ... ok, crying maybe. but mostly hopeful, that the op took statguy's advice.

Likes Vanadium 50
I am too, but according to the timestamps, he posted it 9 minutes after the OP's last visit. 😥

Out of the public universities, they fall under two umbrellas.

UC and Calstates,

on average, UC's offer a better program, but have a lower acceptance than the Calstates. Classes are typically larger at the UC but once you get passed the intro analysis and intro algebra, classes become a bit smaller.

From the Calstates, CSULB, Cal Poly Pomona, and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo are hidden gems.

I also believe your Fafsa deadline is incorrect.

Vanadium 50 said:
I am too, but according to the timestamps, he posted it 9 minutes after the OP's last visit. 😥
But the timestamp applies only if you're logged in. It's possible that the OP logged off, but still viewed Reply #2 in time to act.

That's why I said I'm hopeful. Does it look good? Well, it would sure look better if the nine minutes were in the other direction, but it's not impossible.

A statement by the OP, "Thanks! I did read it on time." would also provide strong evidence in the positive direction. That's not something we have either,

MidgetDwarf said:
I also believe your Fafsa deadline is incorrect.
The state deadline for California was March 2.

1. What universities in California offer online Bachelor's degrees in math?

Some universities in California that offer online Bachelor's degrees in math include California State University - Fullerton, University of California - Irvine, and National University.

2. Are there any specific requirements for admission to an online BS math degree program in California?

Each university may have different requirements for admission to their online BS math degree program. Generally, students will need to meet the same admission requirements as traditional on-campus students, such as a high school diploma or equivalent and standardized test scores.

3. Can I complete an online BS math degree in California at my own pace?

It depends on the university's program structure. Some universities may offer self-paced online courses, while others may have a set schedule for completing coursework and assignments. It is important to research the specific program and its requirements before enrolling.

4. How long does it take to complete an online BS math degree in California?

The length of time to complete an online BS math degree in California will vary depending on factors such as the university's program structure, the student's course load, and any transfer credits. On average, it may take 4-5 years to complete a Bachelor's degree.

5. Can I transfer credits from a community college to an online BS math degree program in California?

Yes, many universities in California have partnerships with community colleges and may accept transfer credits towards an online BS math degree. It is important to check with the specific university and their transfer credit policies.