University recommendations for a physics graduate

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has finished their bachelor's degree in physics but is now looking for a different university to pursue their master's degree due to the lack of equipment and resources in their previous university. They mention their grades and limited budget, and express interest in experimental physics, specifically in particle or nuclear physics. They are open to studying anywhere in the world, as long as the university has the necessary equipment and resources. Some recommendations are given for universities in Europe that have lower tuition fees. The conversation ends with the person deciding to drop one option due to its expensive fees.
Beenigma
Good day, forum.
Last year I finished my bachelor in physics, and due to a mess-up on my behalf, I could not begin on my masters degree at once. This has given me a one-year pause which I spend working, and most importantly, thinking about what I wish to do from now on. I've come to realize that I need to get my master's degree in a different university than where I did my bachelor. The reason is that the physics department is pretty rudimentary and lack equipment to do any sort of proper experimental physics.
Now, I need to figure out where I'd like to go! Location is not a problem, could be in Katmandu for all I care. I wish I had the grades and money to pick freely among the top players like MIT, Cambridge, Oxford, etc., but sadly that's not the case. My grades are a little above average, a B minus in a scale from A (Perfect) to F (Fail). I do not have unlimited funds either, and am limited to 18k GBP (28.5k USD) per year, and this must cover both living expenses and school fees.
I would like to do something related to particle or nuclear physics, as this is a subject I find fascinating. Preferably experimental, as I have come to realize I prefer the hands-on approach to pure theory. I'd like to hear if anyone here have any recommendations, as I'm getting lost in a sea of choices

TL;DR: Which university to choose? Not perfect grades, limited budget, physics graduate. Can be anywhere in the world, should have equipment and resources for experimental work.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would you have to go to a place where the classes are taught in english, or do you speak another language?

Cruz Martinez said:
Would you have to go to a place where the classes are taught in english, or do you speak another language?

Good question, and something I should have addressed in my original post. The classes should preferably be taught in English, but I also speak Danish, Norwegian, and some Swedish.

http://physics.unt.edu/grad.

I'm not sure about costs. The average undergrad semester is around 5,500. They say that a full-time grad semester is usually around 6,500 but I'm not certain on this fact. A grad student told me that the big topic there right now is solid-state and particle research. Might be worth asking for some info?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Charles Stark said:
http://physics.unt.edu/grad.

I'm not sure about costs. The average undergrad semester is around 5,500. They say that a full-time grad semester is usually around 6,500 but I'm not certain on this fact. A grad student told me that the big topic there right now is solid-state and particle research. Might be worth asking for some info?
Thank you for the recommendation. I have sent their department of physics an email, and I'll see what they have to say.

Awesome! I sent them an email during the Fall and they sent me some pretty cool info. I just might!

Why don't you save that money/use it on living expenses, instead of tuition, and find a master's program in Europe, which are usually much, much cheaper tuition-wise.

At times, they are often free of tuition. That is certainly the case in many universities in Germany, where you will only need to pay some minor fees for university services.

Look up hochschulkompass, and search for programs there.

To get you started, look into Leipzig, Cologne, The Elite Network (Bavaria), and Bonn as well, I think. There are many more master's programs taught in English, than there are bachelor's.

The Netherlands tend to have some tuition, but they are usually much lower if you come from a EU country.

Good luck.

Mépris said:
Why don't you save that money/use it on living expenses, instead of tuition, and find a master's program in Europe, which are usually much, much cheaper tuition-wise.

SNIP

That would be a much better option, as I already live in Europe. The procedure for getting into US universities are a lot different from what I'm used to, with all these standardized tests I have never taken. The only reason I'm even looking for Universities in the US is because I wish to travel a bit while I'm studying, and not only stay in Europe. I'll look into the ones you mentioned!

Charles Stark said:
Awesome! I sent them an email during the Fall and they sent me some pretty cool info. I just might!
Sent an email to the head of graduate admission at the department of physics, she replied with a standardized email with information of how to apply and didn't answer any of my questions... Perfect. Think I'm going to drop this one. It's a bit expensive anyways.

Sent an email to the head of graduate admission at the department of physics, she replied with a standardized email with information of how to apply and didn't answer any of my questions... Perfect. Think I'm going to drop this one. It's a bit expensive anyways.

Interesting, I sent one to the graduate advisor and he gave me different info. Thanks!

Related to University recommendations for a physics graduate

1. What are the top universities for physics graduate programs?

The top universities for physics graduate programs vary depending on ranking systems, but some of the most highly ranked institutions include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, and Stanford University.

2. What criteria should I consider when choosing a university for a physics graduate program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a university for a physics graduate program include the research opportunities and facilities available, the faculty and their areas of expertise, the program curriculum, the university's reputation and ranking, and the location and cost of living.

3. How important are university rankings in determining the quality of a physics graduate program?

University rankings can be a helpful tool in determining the overall reputation and resources of a physics graduate program, but they should not be the sole determining factor. It is important to also consider the specific research opportunities and faculty within the program.

4. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites that are recommended for a physics graduate program?

Most physics graduate programs will require a strong background in undergraduate physics courses, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. Some programs may also recommend additional courses in math, computer science, or other related fields.

5. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into a top physics graduate program?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a top physics graduate program, it is important to have a strong academic record, strong letters of recommendation, and relevant research experience. Additionally, highlighting your passion for physics and your specific research interests in your application can make you stand out to admissions committees.