The Power of Quantum Field Theory: Tips for Studying at 15

• Thread starter Moayd Shagaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft Study
In summary: So, it's a trade-off. In summary, your dad is right and you should focus on more advanced subjects if you want to study physics. You can start to learn these things by talking to your teachers or joining a Physics or Math Club at your school. Alternatively, you can make friends who are also interested in the subject and ask them for help.
Moayd Shagaf
I'm 15 years old boy, and I have pure interest in physics , and I really love to study things like Quantum Field Theory, but my dad won't let me! so how I deal with him?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are doing great in all of your classes at school, he should probably be okay with you doing extra studying. How are you doing in school? Does your school have a Physics Club?

will I'm good in my school , he said to me this is an adult things , and you waste your time! but I have an excellent grades in Math and Physics , actually I have the best grade in physics in the entire school!

Is there something else he wants you to study instead? As long as you are comfortable learning more math and physics, you can start to learn more advanced subjects early. Have you studied Calculus yet? At what level?

Moayd Shagaf said:
I'm 15 years old boy, and I have pure interest in physics , and I really love to study things like Quantum Field Theory, but my dad won't let me! so how I deal with him?

Your dad is right ;) Quantum field theory is typically taught at a university to students who had about 5 semesters of advanced mathematics. Your ambition is honorable. Ask your dad to explain special relativity or something.

berkeman said:
Is there something else he wants you to study instead? As long as you are comfortable learning more math and physics, you can start to learn more advanced subjects early. Have you studied Calculus yet? At what level?
Well, we will learn calculus next year! but actually I already Learned It to my self! I also learn other things learn complex analysis,PDEs

Do you think It will be good if I have a physicists friends?

Moayd Shagaf said:
Do you think It will be good if I have a physicists friends?
Of course, that is why I asked if your school has a Physics Club. Or a Math Club? If not, consider talking to your teachers to see if they can help you start one... :smile:

Likes Moayd Shagaf
berkeman said:
Of course, that is why I asked if your school has a Physics Club. Or a Math Club? If not, consider talking to your teachers to see if they can help you start one... :smile:
Yes It actually have, Thanks Guys I'll i think it surely be work :smile:

Moayd Shagaf said:
Well, we will learn calculus next year! but actually I already Learned It to my self! I also learn other things learn complex analysis,PDEs
Don't get stopped by answers using "later", "at university" or similar nonsense. I remember when I was in my late high school years and I asked my math teacher what a gradient is, because I've read it in a book about particle physics which I borrowed from the library, he answered that it is something learned at the university and too difficult to explain. I became (and still am) angry about this answer, the moment I realized what it is and that it had been quite easy for him to explain to me. Maybe he had forgotten it himself, but then he should have said so. It isn't shameful something not to know, but to hide behind excuses is. So don't get stopped. Most things aren't that difficult, once you understood the ideas and concepts behind. The main barrier is to get used to the different ways of thinking. To understand QFT you certainly need to understand some fundamentals in mathematics first: linear algebra, calculus and function theory. So one of the hurdles are the mathematical tools, which are needed because it is the language the physical knowledge is written in. But the sky is the limit! It can be learnt, and if you have questions, you'll always be welcome to turn to PF and ask.

Likes Arnoldjavs3, berkeman and Moayd Shagaf
fresh_42 said:
To understand QFT you certainly need to understand some fundamentals in mathematics first: linear algebra, calculus and function theory.
There are also physics prerequisites, e.g. "ordinary" quantum mechanics; special theory of relativity using four-vectors; and electromagnetism as formulated in a relativistic way using four-vector notation.

Likes berkeman and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Don't get stopped by answers using "later", "at university" or similar nonsense.

While I agree with this, there is also the other side of the coin: self-taught people who end up getting only a very superficial knowledge, usually because they try and whip through the material. Our younger members seem particularly susceptible to this.

Related to The Power of Quantum Field Theory: Tips for Studying at 15

1) What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines elements of quantum mechanics and classical field theory to describe the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

2) Why is quantum field theory important?

Quantum field theory is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the interactions of particles at a fundamental level, and is essential for many areas of modern physics, including particle physics and cosmology.

3) How can I start studying quantum field theory at the age of 15?

The best way to start studying quantum field theory at 15 is to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with basic concepts in quantum mechanics and classical field theory.

4) What are some tips for studying quantum field theory?

Some tips for studying quantum field theory include practicing problem-solving, seeking out additional resources such as textbooks and online lectures, and collaborating with other students. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical principles.

5) Are there any practical applications of quantum field theory?

Yes, there are many practical applications of quantum field theory, including the development of new technologies such as quantum computing and the study of fundamental particles and their interactions. It also has applications in fields such as condensed matter physics and materials science.