Unsolved Circuit Question: Ammeter Reading and Potential Difference

• Thread starter Peter R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit question that the speaker is having trouble solving. They mention using the equation V=IR and assuming that the ammeter gives no reading, leading to no potential difference. The expert suggests removing the ammeter and asks about the connections between R1 and R2 and R3 and R4. The speaker is still unsure and asks for more specific hints. The expert then mentions series and parallel connections and asks about the connection between R1 and R2.
Peter R

Homework Statement

So here is a circuit question that I couldn't solve

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

So I assumed that since the ammeter gives no reading it should lead to no potential difference in between those two points, then I'm completely stuck. Please help, the answer is D for reference:)

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 352
  • unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
Think in terms of what is necessary, even if it is not sufficient.

(Nasty question though!)

Peter R said:
So I assumed that since the ammeter gives no reading it should lead to no potential difference in between those two points,
Ok, so now you can remove the ammeter from the circuit. It won't make any difference.

So how are R1 and R2 connected? How are R3 and R4 connected?

Tom.G said:
Think in terms of what is necessary, even if it is not sufficient.

(Nasty question though!)
Still have no clue man, a little more hint?

cnh1995 said:
Ok, so now you can remove the ammeter from the circuit. It won't make any difference.

So how are R1 and R2 connected? How are R3 and R4 connected?
Ehh please be more specific man, thanks for the reply

Peter R said:
Ehh please be more specific man, thanks for the reply
Have you studied series and parallel connections? How are R1 and R2 connected?

cnh1995 said:
Have you studied series and parallel connections? How are R1 and R2 connected?
Yea they are in series with the same current but shared voltage.

1. What is an ammeter reading?

An ammeter reading is a measure of the electric current passing through a circuit. It is typically expressed in units of amperes (A) and is used to determine the amount of current flowing through a specific point in a circuit.

2. How is an ammeter reading different from a potential difference?

An ammeter reading measures the amount of current flowing through a circuit, while potential difference measures the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. In simpler terms, an ammeter reading tells us how much current is flowing, while potential difference tells us the amount of energy being transferred in the circuit.

3. How does an ammeter affect the circuit it is connected to?

An ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, which means that it becomes part of the circuit itself. This affects the circuit by adding resistance, which can slightly alter the current flow and potential difference in the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of an ammeter reading?

The accuracy of an ammeter reading can be affected by a number of factors, including the resistance of the ammeter itself, the resistance of the circuit, and the placement of the ammeter in the circuit. Other factors such as temperature and external electromagnetic fields can also affect the accuracy of the reading.

5. How can I calculate the potential difference in a circuit if I only have the ammeter reading?

In order to calculate the potential difference in a circuit, you will need to know the resistance of the circuit and the ammeter reading. You can then use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the potential difference, where V is the potential difference, I is the ammeter reading, and R is the resistance of the circuit.