Unveiling the Mystery of our Spiral Galaxy

In summary, the spiral arms of our galaxy were first discovered through mapping clouds of hydrogen that were moving and showed rotating patterns through the use of the doppler effect. These maps were able to be created because the hydrogen radio wavelength of 21 cm was not blocked by dust and allowed for precise measurements. The first suggestion of the Milky Way being a spiral galaxy was made in 1852 and was part of a debate about the size of the universe. Accurate maps of the galaxy have been continually refined over time, with the most current ones using a combination of gas clouds and bright stars.
Passionate Eng
How did we know that our galaxy is spiral?!

Space news on Phys.org
Neutral hydrogen 21 cm line

the spiral arms are copied by clouds of hydrogen. the clouds of hydrogen are moving, their doppler describes rotating shapes. they can be seen and mapped farther away than the galaxy disk stars can because the stars are obscured by dust. But the hydrogen radio wavelength is 21 cm and it is not blocked by dust and it is very precise so the doppler can be measured exactly.

My memory of this is vague. I suppose the spiral arms were being mapped by radio astronomers before 1970 perhaps already before 1960. Wikipedia might have some sources.

Last edited:
Huh. Apparently the first suggestion that the Milky Way is a spiral came all the way back in 1852:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?1852AJ...2...97A

The somewhat old language is a bit difficult for me to parse, but it looks like he was inferring the shape from the directions to the stars in the sky. I'm not completely certain, but I *think* this paper was part of an ongoing debate as to whether the Milky Way was the whole of the universe, or whether it was just one of many "nebulae" (at the time, any extended object was called a nebula), the debate that wasn't settled until Hubble definitively showed that what we now call other galaxies are quite far away.

Of course, accurate maps weren't made for quite some time, and they're still refining them. Apparently the best current maps make use of a combination of gas clouds and bright stars. Here's one example:
http://www.americaspace.com/?p=83081

What is a spiral galaxy?

A spiral galaxy is a type of galaxy that is characterized by its distinct spiral shape, with a central bulge surrounded by spiral arms. Our own galaxy, the Milky Way, is a spiral galaxy.

How big is our spiral galaxy?

The Milky Way is estimated to be about 100,000 light years in diameter, with approximately 200-400 billion stars. It is also surrounded by a halo of dark matter, which extends further out than the visible stars.

What is the role of black holes in a spiral galaxy?

Many spiral galaxies, including the Milky Way, have a supermassive black hole at their center. These black holes play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the galaxy, as they can influence the movement of stars and gas within the galaxy.

How do stars form in a spiral galaxy?

Stars form in regions of high gas density within a spiral galaxy, such as in the spiral arms. As gas and dust particles clump together due to gravity, they eventually become dense enough to trigger nuclear fusion and form a star.

What is the future of our spiral galaxy?

It is estimated that the Milky Way will continue to evolve and grow for billions of years. The spiral arms will continue to rotate and stars will continue to form. However, it is also possible that the Milky Way may collide with another galaxy in the future, potentially altering its shape and structure.