Upper indices and lower indices in Einstein notation

GGGGc
I have read some text about defining the cross product. It can be defined by both a x b = epsilon_(ijk) a^j b^k e-hat^i and a x b = epsilon^(ijk) a_i b_j e-hat^k
why the a and b have opposite indice positions with the epsilon? How to understand that physically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Screen Shot 2023-10-02 at 21.18.13.png

This is the text i read

PeroK said:
I've already checked that, but I'm still confused about when to use upper or lower indices, do you have some examples? Thanks for answering my question!

GGGGc said:
I've already checked that, but I'm still confused about when to use upper or lower indices, do you have some examples? Thanks for answering my question!
You really need a textbook or lecture notes, as there is a lot to say on this. The basic idea comes from the notaion of a dual vector space. In Euclidean space, the dual space can be associated directly with the original space, so there is no need for a distinction. And, generally a vector is written as a sum of its components in any coordinate basis:
$$\mathbf a = \sum_{i = 1}^n a_i\mathbf e_i$$Where ##\mathbf e_i## are the basis vectors. When we come to curved spacetime, the dual space can no longer be directly associated with the original space. Therefore, we have a coordinate basis and a dual basis and a vector is expressed in terms of the basis and a dual vector in terms of the dual basis. (Note that this concept extends to tensors of any rank.) The Einstien notation not only dropped the summation symbol, but used upper indices to represent components of a vector and lower indices to represent the basis vectors. This is because the components obey the contravariant transformation law and the basis vectors obey the covariant transformation law (you better check I've got that the right way round!). So, we write:
$$\mathbf a = a^{\alpha}\mathbf e_{\alpha}$$Conversely, the components of a dual vector (also known as a one-form) obey the covariant transformation law and the basis dual vectors obey the contravariant law. So, for a dual vector, we write:$$\mathbf w = w_{\alpha}\mathbf \theta^{\alpha}$$Where ##\mathbf \theta^{\alpha}## are the basis dual vectors.

That should get you started, but whatever you are studying should go into the Einstein notation in sufficient depth.

• Informative
Likes GGGGc and berkeman
Thank you so much for your explanation! I'm quite clear now!

Likes berkeman

1. What are upper indices and lower indices in Einstein notation?

In Einstein notation, upper indices represent contravariant vectors, while lower indices represent covariant vectors. Contravariant vectors transform inversely to the coordinate system, while covariant vectors transform in the same way as the coordinate system.

2. How do upper and lower indices affect tensor calculations?

Upper and lower indices are used to denote the components of tensors in Einstein notation. When performing tensor calculations, the indices must be appropriately matched in order to ensure proper contraction and summation.

3. Can upper and lower indices be freely interchanged in Einstein notation?

No, upper and lower indices cannot be freely interchanged in Einstein notation. The position of the indices is crucial in determining the type of vector or tensor being represented, and swapping them can lead to incorrect calculations.

4. What is the significance of the Einstein summation convention in relation to upper and lower indices?

The Einstein summation convention states that when an index appears as both an upper index and a lower index in a term, it implies summation over all possible values of that index. This convention simplifies tensor calculations by eliminating the need for explicit summation symbols.

5. How are upper and lower indices used in physics and mathematics?

In physics and mathematics, upper and lower indices are commonly used to represent vectors, tensors, and other mathematical objects. They play a crucial role in various fields such as general relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics for expressing physical quantities and equations in a concise and elegant manner.