Levi Civita notations, curls relating to 1/r fields

• Thread starter NaOH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving the equation \nabla \times \frac{\bf \hat r}{r^{2}} = 0 using Levi Civita notations. The conversation also points out a small typo and suggests a better notation for clarity. Finally, it is confirmed that the statement \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} x_{k} = \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{jk} = 0 is a legitimate mathematical statement.
NaOH
This isn't really isn't strictly a homework question; there wouldn't be solutions provided. I know the answer -- if anything it follows from other electrostatic results. I would like to make sure what I have written down as steps are legitimate.

I will also skip ahead some steps because typing everything out would be very time consuming, especially if I have no idea if the codes will turn out right.

Homework Statement

Prove that
[tex]\nabla \times \frac{\bf \hat r}{r^{2}} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]\nabla \times {\bf r} = 0 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin with
[tex]\nabla \times {\bf r} = 0 [/tex]
Using Levi Civita notations,
[tex]\nabla \times {\bf r} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} x_{k}=\epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{jk}[/tex]
Where
[tex] \partial_{j} = \frac{d}{dx_{j}}[/tex]
Here, I reason that for it to have a value, j=k in the kronecker delta, but if that is the case, then the levi civita tensor would be zero, hence, curl of a 1/r is zero.

Next,

[tex]\nabla \times \frac{\bf \hat r}{r^{2}} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} (x_{k} (x_{b} x_{b})^{-3/2}) [/tex]
[tex]=\epsilon_{ijk}( (x_{b} x_{b})^{-5/2} \partial_{j}(x_{k}) - 3x_{k}x_{j}(x_{k} (x_{b} x_{b})^{-5/2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{1}{r^{3}}\nabla \times {\bf {r}} - \frac{3}{r^5} {\bf {r}} \times {\bf r} = 0-3(0) = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NaOH said:
[tex]\nabla \times \frac{\bf \hat r}{r^{2}} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} (x_{k} (x_{b} x_{b})^{-3/2}) [/tex]
[tex]=\epsilon_{ijk}( (x_{b} x_{b})^{-5/2} \partial_{j}(x_{k}) - 3x_{k}x_{j}(x_{k} (x_{b} x_{b})^{-5/2}[/tex]

There's a small typo in the 2nd line (the -5/2 exponent in the 1st term should still be a -3/2) but both of your calculations look perfectly fine. I would further nitpick a bit and suggest that when you convert from vector notation to index notation, you stick the free indices on the vector expression so that the indices match on both sides of every equation. So for example, I would write

$$ (\nabla \times \mathbf{r})_i = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} x_{k}.$$

You seem to have the important ideas sorted out though, so this is more a criticism of form than substance.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply fzero.

My lecturer that introduced these notations to us typed out exactly as I did (maybe without the embarrassing mistake!), so I thought that was the norm. I will include the free indices from now on, makes it clearer for me too.

I am really concerned if what I wrote
[tex] \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} x_{k} = \epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{jk} = 0 [/tex] is a legitimate mathematical statement.

Your statement is obviously true, because [itex]\delta_{jk}=0[/itex] for [itex]i \neq j[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=0[/itex] for [itex]j=k[/itex]. So all terms in the sum [itex]\delta_{jk} \epsilon_{ijk}=0[/itex].

The other thing is that, strictly speaking the notation to equal a vector to one of its components doesn't make any mathematical sense. It is plain wrong! So the correct notation is
[tex](\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{r})_i=\epsilon_{ijk} \partial_j x_k=\epsilon_{ijk} \delta_{jk}=0.[/tex]
Since this holds for all [itex]i \in \{1,2,3 \}[/itex] you have proven that
[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{r}=0.[/tex]
Here, on the right-hand side stands the zero-vector!

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind!

1. What are Levi Civita notations and how do they relate to 1/r fields?

Levi Civita notations are a set of symbols used in vector calculus to represent the components of a vector. They are commonly used in calculations involving 1/r fields, which are fields that decrease in strength as the distance from their source increases.

2. Why are Levi Civita notations useful in studying 1/r fields?

Levi Civita notations provide a concise and consistent way to represent vector quantities, making calculations and equations easier to understand and manipulate. This is especially useful in studying 1/r fields, which can be complex and require precise mathematical representations.

3. Can Levi Civita notations be used for other types of fields besides 1/r fields?

Yes, Levi Civita notations are commonly used in various fields of physics and engineering, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and general relativity. They can be applied to any type of vector field, not just 1/r fields.

4. What is the significance of curls in relation to 1/r fields?

In vector calculus, a curl is a measure of the rotation or circulation of a vector field. In the context of 1/r fields, the curl is used to calculate the strength and direction of the field at a given point. It is an important tool in understanding the behavior of 1/r fields and their effects.

5. Are there any limitations to using Levi Civita notations and curls in studying 1/r fields?

While Levi Civita notations and curls are powerful tools in studying 1/r fields, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for studying highly irregular or discontinuous fields. Additionally, they may not accurately represent certain physical phenomena, such as wave interference.