Prove Vector Quadruple Product with Levi-Civita/Index Notation

In summary: I found the mistake in my solution. I don't know if you're interested in knowing where the mistake is.Yes of course. But I am afraid that you will need to be specific.
johnnydoejr
I'm asked to prove the following using Levi-Civita/index notation:
[itex]
(\mathbf{a \times b} )\mathbf{\times} (\mathbf{c}\times \mathbf{d}) = [\mathbf{a,\ b, \ d}] \mathbf c - [\mathbf{a,\ b, \ c}] \mathbf d \
[/itex]

I'm able to prove it using triple product identities, but I'm completely stuck with the index notation. I was previously able to prove Lagrange's Identity with index notation, but applying similar concepts I just get stuck on the first step with the quadruple product.

Using the same first step of proving Lagrange's identity, I transformed [itex]
(\mathbf{a \times b} )[/itex] into [itex]\varepsilon_{ijk} a^j b^k[/itex] and [itex]
(\mathbf{c \times d} )[/itex] into [itex]\varepsilon_{imn} c^m d^n[/itex] but then I'm just left with [itex](\varepsilon_{ijk} a^j b^k) \mathbf{\times} (\varepsilon_{imn} c^m d^n)[/itex] which is seemingly unhelpful.

I also tried letting AxB = W and CxD = Z and transforming WxZ to index notation. Then I tried to 'un-nest' the original cross products in index notation, but it quickly ended up in a place where I couldn't understand what the different indexes represented.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not entirely sure how you defined ##[\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b},\mathbf{c}]##. Probably as a determinant? Either way, you must have ##[\mathbf{a},\mathbf{b}, \mathbf{c}] = \mathbf{a} \cdot (\mathbf{b} \times \mathbf{c})##. That might be helpful.

There is also an identity that relates ##\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{lmk}## to Kronecker deltas. It might also prove useful.

Yes, [a,b,c]=aโ‹…(bร—c). I'm sure it will be helpful, but only after I can get past the initial steps.

I'm aware of the Kronecker delta identity you refer to, I used it to prove the scalar quadruple product/Lagrange's Identity as part of the same assignment. I don't doubt that that will be involved as well, but again, only after I can get past this initial step.

I don't know how to combine [itex](\varepsilon_{ijk} a^j b^k) \mathbf{\times} (\varepsilon_{imn} c^m d^n)[/itex] without the index notation blowing up on me to a point where I don't understand it. It could just be that I'm approaching it from the wrong direction in the one step I did make in re-writing the two inner cross products in index notation.

Thought I had a breakthrough after referencing another forum post. Was able to work through this:

[itex]\begin{align*}
[(A\times B)\times(C\times D)]_{i} &= \varepsilon_{ijk}(A\times B)_{j}(C\times D)_{k} \\
&= \varepsilon_{ijk} \varepsilon_{jmn} A_{m}B_{n} \varepsilon_{kpq} C_{p}D_{q} \\
&= -\varepsilon_{jik} \varepsilon_{jmn} A_{m}B_{n} \varepsilon_{kpq} C_{p}D_{q} \\
&= -(\delta_{im}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{km})A_{m}B_{n} \varepsilon_{kpq} C_{p}D_{q}\\
&= (-A_{i}B_{k} + A_{k}B_{i}) \varepsilon_{kpq} C_{p}D_{q}\\
&= -A_{i} \varepsilon_{kpq} B_{k}C_{p}D_{q} + B_{i} \varepsilon_{kpq} A_{k}C_{p}D_{q} \\
&= (\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{C} \times \mathbf{D})\mathbf{B} - (\mathbf{B} \cdot \mathbf{C} \times \mathbf{D})\mathbf{A}\end{align*}[/itex]

This has to be the right approach...too many things went right while I was working through it, but then I came to then end and compared it to the identity:

[itex](\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} \times \mathbf{D})\mathbf{C} - (\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} \times \mathbf{C})\mathbf{D}[/itex]

So close, yet so far. Anybody see any mistakes? My brain is fried.

You didn't make a mistake, but to get the identity you want, try contracting ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## with ##\varepsilon_{kpq}## instead.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
You didn't make a mistake, but to get the identity you want, try contracting ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## with ##\varepsilon_{kpq}## instead.

Thanks, that does it.

johnnydoejr said:
Thanks, that does it.
i didn't get that and yes my mind is also fried after seeing so many symbols. can you please explain how to get the result

MASTER said:
i didn't get that and yes my mind is also fried after seeing so many symbols. can you please explain how to get the result

Hi, I'm new here, but I found the solution to your confusion (I think), and maybe it can help somebody.

So, once you contract ##\varepsilon_{ijk}## with ##\varepsilon_{kpq}##, you can rotate them, or do an "even permutation" of them. This means that ##\varepsilon_{kpq} = \varepsilon_{pqk} = \varepsilon_{qkp}##. That way you can obtain the identity you desire.

Bro, you did it correctly. I verified it. thank you for sharing the solution.

I found the mistake in my solution. I don't know if you're interested in knowing where the mistake is.

Likes THAUROS
Yes of course. But I am afraid that you will need to be specific. I don't have the strong background knowledge you have. But I am determined to learn, I study Neuroscience, so I know the effort will pay off! ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know how and where to start. I'll just think for a minute.

Likes THAUROS
The given equation is correct:
##\qquad\qquad(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D) = [ \vec A \cdot (\vec B \times \vec D) ] \vec C - [ \vec A \cdot (\vec B \times \vec C) ] \vec D##
The result I got was
##\qquad\qquad(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D) = [ \vec A \cdot (\vec B \times \vec C) ] \vec D - [ \vec A \cdot (\vec B \times \vec D) ] \vec C##
The mistake is in this line of the second component form:
##\qquad[(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D)]_i = ๐œ€_{ijk} ๐œ€_{jlm} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t = ๐œ€_{ikj} ๐œ€_{jlm} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t##
The correct equation should have been
##\qquad[(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D)]_i = ๐œ€_{ijk} ๐œ€_{jlm} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t = -๐œ€_{ikj} ๐œ€_{jlm} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t##
since for a single permutation (an odd permutation) from ##~๐œ€_{ijk}~## to ##~๐œ€_{ikj}~##, one must use the relation ##~~๐œ€_{ikj}/๐œ€_{ijk} = -1~\Rightarrow~๐œ€_{ijk} = -๐œ€_{ikj}~.## I did not put the minus sign before because I was worried that when I substitute values for the indices later, I would have to put a minus sign again ##-## a second minus sign ##-## for an odd permutation which would, of course, neutralize the effect of the first minus sign. So, using the property ##๐œ€_{ikj} ๐œ€_{jlm} = \{ \delta_{il} \delta_{km} - \delta_{im} \delta_{kl} \}~## of the Levi-Civita symbol, the previous equation becomes
##\qquad[(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D)]_i = -\{ \delta_{il} \delta_{km} - \delta_{im} \delta_{kl} \} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t##
##{~~~~}\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad= \{ \delta_{im} \delta_{kl} - \delta_{il} \delta_{km} \} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t##
which is the negative of the result that I got in my earlier solution,
##\qquad[(\vec A \times \vec B)\times(\vec C \times \vec D)]_i = \{ \delta_{il} \delta_{km} - \delta_{im} \delta_{kl} \} ๐œ€_{kst} A_l B_m C_s D_t##
that led to the inequality.

Likes THAUROS
Thanks very much,๐Ÿ‘very kind of you to also try and put it simpler terms to help me! I absolutely appreciate your help.
I'll go through it properly with a good physics tutor as soon as I find one. I'm still looking, but I feel confident he/she will come my way!

Have a great day/week

1. What is the Levi-Civita/Index Notation?

The Levi-Civita/Index Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the vector quadruple product, also known as the scalar triple product of three vectors. It is used to simplify and generalize vector calculations in physics and engineering.

2. How is the Levi-Civita/Index Notation used to prove the vector quadruple product?

The Levi-Civita/Index Notation provides a concise and elegant way to express the vector quadruple product. By using this notation, the proof of the vector quadruple product can be reduced to a simple algebraic manipulation, making it easier to understand and apply in various contexts.

3. What is the significance of the Levi-Civita symbol in the vector quadruple product?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the alternating tensor, is crucial in the proof of the vector quadruple product. It helps to capture the properties of the cross product and allows for the simplification of the vector equation.

4. Can the vector quadruple product be proved without using the Levi-Civita/Index Notation?

Yes, the vector quadruple product can be proved using other mathematical techniques, such as the cross product and vector algebra. However, the use of the Levi-Civita/Index Notation provides a more efficient and elegant approach to the proof.

5. How is the vector quadruple product used in real-world applications?

The vector quadruple product has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the calculation of torque, angular momentum, and moment of inertia. It is also used in the study of fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.