Upward Force on Bench Support Leg: 990N

In summary: N)(1.6m)+(625N)(1m) = (2m)(F)but i don't know how to change the units in my equation to be in Newtons.
Maigowai
Hi, I am stuck on this question...

A student(850 N) sits on a 2 m long bench that weighs 625 N. The student is sitting 0.40 m from the
right end of the bench. What upward force is exerted by the right support leg of the bench?

please help!

My attempt:
(0.40m)(820N)+(1m)(625N) = 965N
however, the answer that is given is 990 rounded.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maigowai said:

A student(850 N) sits on a 2 m long bench that weighs 625 N. The student is sitting 0.40 m from the
right end of the bench. What upward force is exerted by the right support leg of the bench?

please help!

My attempt:

Welcome to the PF.

Could you please post a sketch of the problem, showing how you arrived at your equation? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Could you please post a sketch of the problem, showing how you arrived at your equation? Thanks.

So what i did was, divide the bench's own force by 2 because it's being supported by 2 legs, but i used the torque equation r x F to find the force exerted 0.4m from the right side...then added it together to find the overall force on the right leg.

however my work seems to be flawed somewhere :(

the image attached is what i used to form my equation.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Maigowai said:

please help!

My attempt:

Maigowai said:
So what i did was, divide the bench's own force by 2 because it's being supported by 2 legs, but i used the torque equation r x F to find the force exerted 0.4m from the right side...then added it together to find the overall force on the right leg.

however my work seems to be flawed somewhere :(

the image attached is what i used to form my equation.

Notice that the units in your first equation are not correct... Newtons * meters doesn't equal Newtons again...

Your approach is basically right, but be careful how you ration the forces. The right support holds up half of the weight of the bench, because that weight is centered in the middle. The person's weight is carried more by the right support because the weight is closer to the right. If the weight were in the middle of the plank, the right support would see half of the person's weight. If the weight were directly over the right support, the right support would carry all of the weight. Can you see now how to use the torque equation to get the right answer?

berkeman said:
Notice that the units in your first equation are not correct... Newtons * meters doesn't equal Newtons again...

Your approach is basically right, but be careful how you ration the forces. The right support holds up half of the weight of the bench, because that weight is centered in the middle. The person's weight is carried more by the right support because the weight is closer to the right. If the weight were in the middle of the plank, the right support would see half of the person's weight. If the weight were directly over the right support, the right support would carry all of the weight. Can you see now how to use the torque equation to get the right answer?

if (850N)(0.4m)+(625N)(1m) is how much weight the right side is holding up...how would you divide the answer by (m) and still get aprox 990N?

Maigowai said:
if (850N)(0.4m)+(625N)(1m) is how much weight the right side is holding up...how would you divide the answer by (m) and still get aprox 990N?

That equation is incorrect overall. You will end up dividing by the length of the bench, or half the length of the bench, depending on how you set your equations up.

Also notice how if you multiply by 0.4m for the weight of the person, you are getting less than half of his weight, even though he is *closer* to the right side. What should you be doing differently about that?

berkeman said:
That equation is incorrect overall. You will end up dividing by the length of the bench, or half the length of the bench, depending on how you set your equations up.

Also notice how if you multiply by 0.4m for the weight of the person, you are getting less than half of his weight, even though he is *closer* to the right side. What should you be doing differently about that?

i found a formula that works, it is (850N)(1.6m)+(625N)(1m) = (2m)(F)
but i don't understand 2 things:
1) why do we use 1.6m and not 0.4m?
2) why must we divide the answer by the length of the bench?

Welcome to PF, Maigowai! :smile:

Maigowai said:
i found a formula that works, it is (850N)(1.6m)+(625N)(1m) = (2m)(F)
but i don't understand 2 things:

You are talking about a moment sum here, which has to be zero to prevent rotation of the bench.

In every statics problem you deal with 3 equilibrium equations.
1. Sum of vertical forces is zero, so there is no vertical movement
2. Sum of horizontal forces is zero, so there is no horizontal movement
3. Sum of moment with respect to an arbitrary point is zero, so there is no rotation.

Are you familiar with moments?

A moment is a force times the distance of that force to the reference point.
These are the products that you have been showing.

In your case you need the 3rd equation, the moment sum with respect to the left leg of the bench.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Maigowai! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Maigowai said:

You are taking https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=64" about the left end of the bench.

(you could do it about any point, but then you'd need to include the moment of the left https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" … if you take moments about the point of application of that force, then of course it has zero moment, ie you can forget about it :wink:)

The sum of the moments has to be zero.

So the clockwise moments must equal the anti-clockwise moments … this equation puts the clockwise moments on the LHS, and the anti-clockwise moments on the RHS.

So (on the LHS), the distance from the left to the person is 1.6 m.

And (on the RHS), the distance to the reaction force is 2.0 m. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Upward Force on Bench Support Leg: 990N

What is the meaning of "Upward Force on Bench Support Leg: 990N"?

The phrase "Upward Force on Bench Support Leg: 990N" refers to the amount of force exerted by the bench support leg in an upward direction. This force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) and is used to describe the strength or load-bearing capacity of the leg.

Why is the upward force on bench support leg important?

The upward force on bench support leg is important because it determines the stability and safety of the bench. A strong upward force ensures that the bench can support the weight of objects placed on it without collapsing or tipping over.

How is the upward force on bench support leg calculated?

The upward force on bench support leg is calculated by using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). In this case, the mass is the weight of the object placed on the bench and the acceleration is the force of gravity (9.8 m/s²). Therefore, the upward force on the bench support leg can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object by 9.8.

What factors can affect the upward force on bench support leg?

The upward force on bench support leg can be affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the objects placed on the bench, the strength and stability of the bench itself, and the surface or flooring on which the bench is placed. Uneven weight distribution or a weak bench structure can result in a lower upward force and potentially lead to instability or collapse.

How can the upward force on bench support leg be increased?

The upward force on bench support leg can be increased by using stronger and more stable bench materials, evenly distributing weight on the bench, and ensuring that the surface or flooring on which the bench is placed is level and supportive. Additionally, reinforcing the bench legs or adding additional support legs can also increase the upward force and improve the overall strength and stability of the bench.