Urban heat effect: high solar reflectance and emittance

In summary, using white paint on a roof increases the solar reflectance and decreases the thermal intake into a building. This will eventually result in an increase in the atmospheric temperature.
ishag

Homework Statement

"The urban heat island (UHI) effect refers to the phenomenon of a metropolitan or built up area which
is significantly warmer than its surrounding areas." Using white paint in roofs increases the solar reflectance and decrease the thermal intake into a building.
Question:-
So, my question is if we are reflecting the sunlight back to the atmosphere, will it convert to heat and increase the temperature of atmosphere further increasing UHI?

Physics news on Phys.org
ishag said:
So, my question is if we are reflecting the sunlight back to the atmosphere, will it convert to heat and increase the temperature of atmosphere further increasing UHI?
One: energy is energy. UV, visible light, IR, or, "heat," in the sense of molecular motions of solids, liquids, or gases are all energy.
Two: what "heats" the atmosphere in your scenario?

The reflected light from white roof can interact with gas and vapour molecules in the atmosphere and re-emit the radiation. Even though we are using white paint to reduce the temperature inside the building, it will eventually result in an increase in the atmospheric temperature.
Is this correct?

ishag said:
The reflected light from white roof can interact with gas and vapour molecules in the atmosphere and re-emit the radiation. Even though we are using white paint to reduce the temperature inside the building, it will eventually result in an increase in the atmospheric temperature.
Is this correct?
Would you be able to see a vast white sunlit roof from a long way up? How come?

I am sorry, I didn't understand your question.

I have this doubt because I have read that usage of cool roofs including white painted roofs will help in decreasing urban heat island effect. Cool roofs have high solar reflectance and thermal emittance. The reflected and emitted radiation are going back to the atmosphere. Will this increase the overall atmospheric temperature considering we are using the cool roofs in a vast area.

ishag said:
I am sorry, I didn't understand your question.

I have this doubt because I have read that usage of cool roofs including white painted roofs will help in decreasing urban heat island effect. Cool roofs have high solar reflectance and thermal emittance. The reflected and emitted radiation are going back to the atmosphere. Will this increase the overall atmospheric temperature considering we are using the cool roofs in a vast area.
We need to separate the visible and IR portions in the discussion.

Will the visible light heat the atmosphere? If you think it will, answer my earlier question.

For the IR, let's say the white roof also reflects a high proportion of that. Will the wavelength of the reflected light be changed at all? If the IR had instead fallen on a surface which absorbs it, what would have happened to that energy subsequently?
Are all bands of IR treated equally by the atmosphere?

Will the visible light heat the atmosphere?
I think it would. after all, its energy. The photons absorbed by molecules in the atmosphere are converted into thermal motion.

Would you be able to see a vast white sunlit roof from a long way up? How come?
White reflects all the wavelengths in the viscible range. bust can i see it? I do not know. Please explain this.

For the IR, let's say the white roof also reflects a high proportion of that. Will the wavelength of the reflected light be changed at all?
No. During reflection, wavelength doesn't change. It just bounces back.

If the IR had instead fallen on a surface which absorbs it, what would have happened to that energy subsequently?
If the IR resonates well with the molecules in the material, then the molecules vibrates, the temperature of the material increases. It also re-emits the radiation.

I don't think so. They interact with the atmosperic gases based on the paricular frequency. Wether it resonates with the molecular vibration of particular molecule.

ishag said:
Will the visible light heat the atmosphere?
I think it would. after all, its energy. The photons absorbed by molecules in the atmosphere are converted into thermal motion.
Then how come visible light reaches us down here on Earth from the sun? Why doesn't most of it get converted to heat in the atmosphere?

ishag said:
If the IR resonates well with the molecules in the material, then the molecules vibrates, the temperature of the material increases. It also re-emits the radiation.
right, but at the same wavelength?

ishag said:
I don't think so. They interact with the atmosperic gases based on the paricular frequency. Wether it resonates with the molecular vibration of particular molecule.
Quite so. So we need to modify our split into visible and IR a little. Instead, we should split the bands into those which interact strongly with the atmosphere and those that don't.
ishag said:
For the IR, let's say the white roof also reflects a high proportion of that. Will the wavelength of the reflected light be changed at all?
No. During reflection, wavelength doesn't change. It just bounces back.
Right. Contrast this with black body absorption and re-emission.

1. What is the urban heat island effect?

The urban heat island effect refers to the phenomenon where urban areas experience higher temperatures compared to surrounding rural areas. This is due to the modification of land surfaces by human activities, such as construction, which leads to an increase in heat absorption and retention.

2. How does high solar reflectance help mitigate the urban heat island effect?

High solar reflectance, also known as albedo, refers to the ability of a surface to reflect sunlight. Surfaces with high solar reflectance can help mitigate the urban heat island effect by reflecting a significant amount of solar radiation instead of absorbing it, thus reducing the overall temperature of the area.

3. What is emittance and how does it impact the urban heat island effect?

Emittance refers to the ability of a surface to emit thermal radiation. Surfaces with high emittance can release heat more efficiently, thus reducing the overall temperature of the area. This is important in urban areas where surfaces with low emittance, such as dark pavements and buildings, contribute to the urban heat island effect by retaining heat.

4. What are some strategies for increasing solar reflectance and emittance in urban areas?

There are several strategies for increasing solar reflectance and emittance in urban areas. These include using light-colored or reflective materials for pavements, roofs, and buildings, incorporating green spaces and trees to provide shade and cooling, and implementing cool roof technologies that use reflective coatings to increase solar reflectance and emittance.

5. How does the urban heat island effect impact human health and the environment?

The urban heat island effect can have negative impacts on human health and the environment. Higher temperatures can lead to heat-related illnesses and discomfort, particularly for vulnerable populations such as the elderly and young children. It can also increase energy demand for cooling, leading to higher greenhouse gas emissions. In the environment, the urban heat island effect can disrupt ecosystems, reduce air quality, and contribute to the formation of urban smog.