How Do Orbital Interactions and Sigma Bonds Work in Methane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of sigma bonds and their formation in molecules, specifically using methane as an example. The conversation also touches on Valence Bond Theory and Molecular Orbital Theory to explain the behavior of electrons in these bonds.
Watari
Hello all

I have an exam coming up this week but there's something that I don't understand:

Let's take methane, for example.
If I understand it correctly, the bonding orbitals of carbon are all hybridized to sp³ orbitals and overlap with the 1s orbital of four H atoms.
Does the orbital of hydrogen also change in any way?

And the bonds involved here are all sigma bonds. Do the shared electrons of carbon and hydrogen follow a common sigma orbital, or do the orbitals simply overlap but still follow their own distinct paths? If the latter is the case, then what exactly is the definition of a sigma orbital?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Watari said:
Hello all

I have an exam coming up this week but there's something that I don't understand:

Let's take methane, for example.
If I understand it correctly, the bonding orbitals of carbon are all hybridized to sp³ orbitals and overlap with the 1s orbital of four H atoms.
Does the orbital of hydrogen also change in any way?

And the bonds involved here are all sigma bonds. Do the shared electrons of carbon and hydrogen follow a common sigma orbital, or do the orbitals simply overlap but still follow their own distinct paths? If the latter is the case, then what exactly is the definition of a sigma orbital?

Thanks

Reality is more complex than the simple pictures.

For Valence Bond Theory (which is implied in the language you use above) sigma bonds are bonds that have cylindrical symmetry about the bond axis. Pi bonds have a nodal plane along the bond axis. For this level of discussion, the carbon atom has sp^3 hybrid orbitals and the H atom has 1s orbitals. These orbitals overlap to give you the sigma bond. The electrons are not following "their own distinct path".

In simple Molecular Orbital Theory, you would come up with molecular orbitals by taking linear combinations of atomic orbitals (or some other basis functions) to come up with orbitals that would be de-localized (to a greater or lesser extent) over the whole molecule. In the simple picture, you would plop electrons in (two-per orbital) until you accounted for all of the electrons.

To get better numbers for energies, etc. you need to do fancier stuff. Look at e.g. Levine "Quantum Chemistry" to get a fuller description of how people do this.

1. What are molecular orbitals?

Molecular orbitals are regions of space where electrons are most likely to be found in a molecule. They are formed by the overlap of atomic orbitals from different atoms.

2. Why is understanding molecular orbitals important?

Understanding molecular orbitals is important because it helps us understand the chemical bonding and properties of molecules. It also allows us to predict and explain the reactivity of molecules and their reactions.

3. How are molecular orbitals different from atomic orbitals?

Molecular orbitals are formed by the combination of atomic orbitals, whereas atomic orbitals are specific to individual atoms. Molecular orbitals also have different energies and shapes compared to atomic orbitals.

4. What is the difference between bonding and antibonding molecular orbitals?

Bonding molecular orbitals are formed when atomic orbitals overlap constructively, resulting in lower energy and increased electron density between the nuclei of two atoms. Antibonding molecular orbitals are formed when atomic orbitals overlap destructively, resulting in higher energy and decreased electron density between the nuclei of two atoms.

5. How can we determine the number of molecular orbitals in a molecule?

The number of molecular orbitals in a molecule can be determined by the number of atomic orbitals involved in the bonding. For example, if two atomic orbitals combine, they will form two molecular orbitals - one bonding and one antibonding. So, the number of molecular orbitals will be equal to the number of atomic orbitals involved in the bonding.