Use derivative of volume to find weight of a shpere

In summary: So if you plug in the values for the soccer ball and find its weight, you'll be using the linear approximation.
rburt
Suppose a soccer ball is made of leather 1/8 in thick. If the outside diameter is 9 in, and the density of leather is assumed to be 0.64 oz/cubic in. Use the derivative of volume to get a linear approximation to figure the weight of the ball (assume the ball is spherical).
Work already done: dV=4piR^2
I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
rburt said:
Suppose a soccer ball is made of leather 1/8 in thick. If the outside diameter is 9 in, and the density of leather is assumed to be 0.64 oz/cubic in. Use the derivative of volume to get a linear approximation to figure the weight of the ball (assume the ball is spherical).
Work already done: dV=4piR^2
I don't know where to go from here.

You left out an important part of that expression rburt.

[tex] dV=4 \pi r^2 \ \mathbf{dr} [/tex]Can you think of how this expression is hinting to us about how to estimate the volume of a thin shell. (Hint. What is the expression for the surface area?)

I understand that the derivative is the surface area but I do not understand how that relates to the weight of the sphere. I also know that the rate at which the volume of a sphere increases when the radius r increases is the measure of the surface area if the sphere but I do not understand what step is next once you have the surface area and how it relates to the weight.

rburt said:
I understand that the derivative is the surface area but I do not understand how that relates to the weight of the sphere.

Find out how much material you have, and use the density to find the weight.

How would i do it using linear approximation?

If you cut the soccer ball so you could lay it out flat, its volume would be its area times its thickness. Of course, it won't actually lay flat, so that's just an approximation. But look at the formula in uart's post #2. That is a linear approximation.

Related to Use derivative of volume to find weight of a shpere

1. How do you use the derivative of volume to find the weight of a sphere?

To use the derivative of volume to find the weight of a sphere, you can use the formula W = ρV where W is the weight, ρ is the density, and V is the volume. Then, take the derivative of the volume formula, which is V = (4/3)πr^3, to find the derivative of weight, which is dW/dr = 4πρr^2. This derivative formula can be used to calculate the weight of a sphere at any given radius.

2. Why is the derivative of volume used to find the weight of a sphere?

The derivative of volume is used to find the weight of a sphere because it takes into account the change in volume as the radius of the sphere changes. This is important because the weight of an object is directly proportional to its volume and density. By using the derivative, we can calculate the weight at any given radius and accurately account for any changes.

3. Can the derivative of volume also be used to find the weight of other shapes?

Yes, the derivative of volume can also be used to find the weight of other shapes. The formula W = ρV can be applied to any shape by using the appropriate volume formula for that shape and taking the derivative of it. However, the formula may be more complex for more irregular shapes.

4. How does the density of the sphere affect the weight calculation using the derivative of volume?

The density of the sphere directly affects the weight calculation using the derivative of volume. As density increases, the weight will also increase, and vice versa. This is because the weight formula includes the density ρ as a factor.

5. Are there any limitations to using the derivative of volume to find the weight of a sphere?

While the derivative of volume is a useful tool for calculating the weight of a sphere, it does have some limitations. This method assumes that the density of the sphere is constant, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it may be more challenging to apply this method to more irregularly shaped spheres.