Use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility

In summary, lactose is a sugar found in milk and breast milk. It is broken down into its two components, glucose and galactose, which are absorbed. Galactose has a use in human metabolism other than being found in milk.
apple963
I would like to know the use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility.
how does low solubility of lactose can be made good use on human?
what are the uses of galactose for human other than making guma?

Biology news on Phys.org
Im not sure as to what the intent of your question is so maybe you can fill that part in. I remember refrences to lactose being used by some cells to control osmosis or rather to remove water by osmosis from other places, think it might have been the colon to dry out the fecal matter that was moving through it. Other wise they are both often used in breast milk by the body.

apple963 said:
I would like to know the use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility.
how does low solubility of lactose can be made good use on human?

Lactose in found in milk. It is a di-saccharide (sugar ).Makes upto 2 to 8 percent of milk (by weight ).It is made up of glucose and galactose(monosaccarides).

The intestinal villi secrete an enzyme called lactase (β-D-galactosidase) to digest it. This enzyme cleaves the lactose molecule into its two subunits, the simple sugars glucose and galactose, which can be absorbed.

https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2900290"

Last edited by a moderator:
madcat8000 said:
Im not sure as to what the intent of your question is so maybe you can fill that part in. I remember refrences to lactose being used by some cells to control osmosis or rather to remove water by osmosis from other places, think it might have been the colon to dry out the fecal matter that was moving through it. Other wise they are both often used in breast milk by the body.

thanks for your reply.
you said lactose can be used to control osmosis, is that also happen in kidney?
what is the advantage of using lactose in breast milk with its low solubility property?
how about the galactose? what is the use of galactose in human?

hope to hear from you soon.

apple963 said:
thanks for your reply.
you said lactose can be used to control osmosis, is that also happen in kidney?
what is the advantage of using lactose in breast milk with its low solubility property?
how about the galactose? what is the use of galactose in human?

hope to hear from you soon.

Lactose is broken down in the intestine into its components glucose and galactose which are absorbed.

kidneys contain a number of substances and no. of complex mechanisms for its function .

In the wiki link the lactose is formed in the body and secreted in breast milk.
All infants have the ability to break down this sugar - by the lactase enzyme secreted in the infants intestine.

galactose is another form of sugar which is can be converted to glucose in the body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactose"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just posting that after searching in my library and internetz all frigging weekend I havnt been able to back up my statement above and so I hearby withdraw it. Just wish I could remember the source cause in my head its clear as a bell. Oh well off to fall on my sword!

Related to Use of lactose and galatose in human with regarding to their solubility

1. What is the difference between lactose and galactose?

Lactose and galactose are both sugars found in milk. Lactose is a disaccharide sugar made up of glucose and galactose molecules bonded together. Galactose, on the other hand, is a monosaccharide sugar that is broken down from lactose during digestion.

2. Are lactose and galactose soluble in water?

Both lactose and galactose are highly soluble in water. Lactose has a solubility of approximately 18.9g/100mL at room temperature, while galactose has a solubility of approximately 91g/100mL at the same temperature.

3. Can humans digest lactose and galactose?

Most humans have the ability to digest lactose and galactose. However, some individuals may have lactose intolerance, which is the inability to digest lactose due to a deficiency in the enzyme lactase. Galactosemia is a rare genetic disorder that causes individuals to have difficulty digesting galactose.

4. What is the purpose of using lactose and galactose in human consumption?

Lactose and galactose are important sources of energy for the human body. Lactose is the main carbohydrate in milk, providing energy and essential nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D. Galactose is also a source of energy and is involved in the production of important molecules such as glycolipids and glycoproteins.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with consuming lactose and galactose?

For most individuals, consuming lactose and galactose is not associated with any health risks. However, as mentioned before, individuals with lactose intolerance may experience digestive discomfort after consuming dairy products. Additionally, individuals with galactosemia must avoid consuming galactose as it can lead to serious health complications.