Use the Jacobi identity to show Lie algebra structure constant id.

In summary: Glad you were able to figure it out!In summary, to show that the structure constants ## c^k_{ij} ## satisfy the identity $$ c^h_{im}c^m_{jk} + c^h_{km}c^m_{ij} + c^h_{jm}c^m_{ki} = 0 $$we can use the Jacobi identity in the form$$ \left[e_i, \left[e_j,e_k\right]\right] + \left[e_j, \left[e_k,e_i\right]\right] + \left[e_k, \left[e_i,e_j\right]\right] $$and the expression ## \left[e_i,e_j
pdxautodidact

Homework Statement

Use the Jacobi identity in the form
$$ \left[e_i, \left[e_j,e_k\right]\right] + \left[e_j, \left[e_k,e_i\right]\right] + \left[e_k, \left[e_i,e_j\right]\right] $$

and ## \left[e_i,e_j\right] = c^k_{ij}e_k ## to show that the structure constants ## c^k_{ij} ## satisfy the identity
$$ c^h_{im}c^m_{jk} + c^h_{km}c^m_{ij} + c^h_{jm}c^m_{ki} = 0 $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start with this one. Using the definition of the structure constant I can show the Jacobi identity equals zero, but does this imply the structure constant identity is equal to zero? I don't see it, if so. Anyway, still not homework, I'm doing this stuff by myself. Also, Einstein convention is enforced (as always).

Any advice for this would be better than the solution, I just started working on it today and moved on so I could sleep on it.

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved!

I see now, ##c^h_{im}c^m_{jk}## is really equivalent to ## \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]##. i suspect the following two follow suit. Still could use help on that commutation bit! Or any advice on how to write this one out without using an entire page of my legal pad.

pdxautodidact said:
I see now, ##c^h_{im}c^m_{jk}## is really equivalent to ## \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]##. i suspect the following two follow suit. Still could use help on that commutation bit! Or any advice on how to write this one out without using an entire page of my legal pad.

You are on the right track. Just note that ## \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]= c^m_{jk} \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]## and apply the expression for the commutator once again. If you do this for the other terms, you should find that the Jacobi identity is equivalent to the expression with the structure constants times a basis element ##e_h##. If you choose dummy indices consistently, it should just take a couple of lines to establish the result.

Likes 1 person
fzero said:
You are on the right track. Just note that ## \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]= c^m_{jk} \left [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m\right]## and apply the expression for the commutator once again. If you do this for the other terms, you should find that the Jacobi identity is equivalent to the expression with the structure constants times a basis element ##e_h##. If you choose dummy indices consistently, it should just take a couple of lines to establish the result.

Did you mean that ## c^m_{jk}\left[e_i,e_m\right] = [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m]##?
Because of bilinearity? If so, thanks it's really easy, if not could you please explain?

cheers

pdxautodidact said:
Did you mean that ## c^m_{jk}\left[e_i,e_m\right] = [e_i,c^m_{jk}e_m]##?
Because of bilinearity? If so, thanks it's really easy, if not could you please explain?

cheers

Yes, I forgot to cut after I pasted. It is indeed because of the bilinearity of the Lie bracket.

1. What is the Jacobi identity?

The Jacobi identity is a fundamental property of Lie algebras, which are mathematical structures used to study symmetries in physics and other fields. It states that the sum of three bracket operations on elements of a Lie algebra is equal to zero.

2. How is the Jacobi identity used to show Lie algebra structure?

The Jacobi identity is used to show that the structure constants of a Lie algebra satisfy certain properties, such as being antisymmetric and satisfying the Jacobi identity itself. This allows us to define a bracket operation on the Lie algebra that preserves its structure.

3. Why is the Jacobi identity important in Lie algebra theory?

The Jacobi identity is important because it is a key property that allows us to define a Lie algebra structure. Without this property, the bracket operation would not preserve the algebra's structure and it would not be a valid Lie algebra. It also has important implications in the study of symmetries and other applications in mathematics and physics.

4. Can you give an example of using the Jacobi identity to show Lie algebra structure?

One example is the Lie algebra of 3x3 skew-symmetric matrices, which is a common example in physics. By using the Jacobi identity, we can show that the structure constants for this algebra satisfy the properties necessary for it to be a valid Lie algebra. This allows us to define a bracket operation that preserves the algebra's structure.

5. How does the Jacobi identity relate to other important Lie algebra properties?

The Jacobi identity is closely related to other important properties of Lie algebras, such as the commutator and associativity properties. In fact, the Jacobi identity can be derived from these other properties, so it is a fundamental building block in the theory of Lie algebras.